Community Forum

Xfinity Wifi

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity Wifi

How do I make my Xfinity WiFi network hidden so others cannot see it unless I give them the name

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Xfinity Wifi

AFAIK, the home network broadcast name (SSID) can no longer be hidden in the Comcast supplied gateway devices. And truthfully, doing so really doesn't increase your network's security.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@PaulAub wrote:

How do I make my Xfinity WiFi network hidden so others cannot see it unless I give them the name

The option I use is a strong 12-character password.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@PaulAub wrote: How do I make my Xfinity WiFi network hidden so others cannot see it unless I give them the name

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hide-disable-in-home-wifi says you can do it, but I do not have an Xfinity gateway and do not know if the article is up to date. In any event, as stated, hiding the SSID doesn't help all that much. It is easily discovered.

Highlighted
Expert

Hi Bruce. Thank you for providing that link. And although I'm not 100% certain, they may have disabled the hide option. They recently have disabled many end user options / settings (without updating the help articles)......... Big mistake IMO ! Their Mileage May vary.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

I am able to turn off my XB6 wifi; is that the same as hiding it?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Expert

No.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&sxsrf=ALeKk01q5zyoltZm4MCKMRGE6QgBXOod6g%3A15...