Community Forum

Xfinity DOCSIS 3.1 How many bonded channel your modem sees?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity DOCSIS 3.1 How many bonded channel your modem sees?

Hi Folks,

I just upgraded my modem to DOCSIS 3.1 (Neatgear CM1000, approved by Comxast) and upgraded Xfinity service to 1GB Internet. 
Max speed measured by Comcast Speed Test is ~600+Mbit/s (down) and ~32+Mbit/s (upload)
I have no complaints about upload -looks exsiting but download generates a question...
I've checked modem status and saw only one OFDM channel locked (with healthy power = +10dBmV and SNR ~40dB) and 13 channels locked to QAM256 (with reasonable power levels -5...+9dBmV; SNR = 37..42dB)
Questions:
- How many channels Xfinity reserved for DOCSIS 3.1 1GB Internet?  (OFDM and/or bonded QAM?)

- Why I see QAM256 channels not QAM4096 channels specified by DOCSIS3.1?

- Does Xfinity REALLY provides DOCSIS 3.1 1GB Internet to me ($100/month) or I may switch back to cheaper 600Mbit/s plan with the same result?
Thank you, MK

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Xfinity DOCSIS 3.1 How many bonded channel your modem sees?

FWIW, there is currently only one DOCSIS 3.1 / OFDM channel with which the gigabit speed tier is delivered by. One has more than enough bandwidth to deliver the theoretical speed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity DOCSIS 3.1 How many bonded channel your modem sees?

Hi EG,

Thank you for reply! Yes, one OFDM - that's what I thought. Unfortunately it doesn't deliver downoad higher than 600-650Mbit/s on my side. Even if computer hardwired (no WiFi, no USB adapters!) to the modem LAN output, no external router involved 😞