juddacus's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, November 22nd, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

XFi gateway to switches - attached computers cannot get to internet

I have gig service with the white XFi gateway. It has 4 ethernet ports. I want to connect a NAS, a 16 port switch, a 4 port switch, and an 8 port switch to the router. From there I fan out to the various devices. Note - that it is alot of ports, but I happened to have those switches so I am using them. All are unmanaged, all are gig.

When I connect the switches to the router, computers that are connected to the switches have "issues". Meaning significant slowness (like ~100mbps speedtests) or "connected with no internet" messages.

I am at my wit's end here. Why can't the router send traffic to the switches? Why is it so bad? I have replaced/switched the cables, I have replaced and switched the switches themselves (especially the 16 port version, I am on my 3rd, brand new one of those). What am I doing wrong here?

I originally had a set of netgear components (modem and router/wifi gadgets) but the support was so bad that I had to revert to the xfi modem just to avoid that issue when troubleshooting the connection issues I was seeing.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

3 years ago

Well, I have the same white XB7 gateway, and I have no issues with traffic to three siwtches (a 24 port TP-Link, a 5 port QNAP 2.5Gbit switch, and an 8 port Netgear GS308). 

Personally, I'd isolate each of the switches and cables to see if any of them are problematic, (i.e. removing all of them and putting them back one at a time). or change ports being used on the gateway. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Im having the same issue. Did you find a solution for yours?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Did you ended up finding the solution?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Kamino1 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thank you. 6-month-old dead thread now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here