Community Forum

XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

Wheres the gateway test in the ios xFi app?
Highlighted
Expert

It would be in the connect tab, but it seems it could vary by gateway firmware and if Comcast enables it on the account to be able to do it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

My excitement yesterday, regarding the restoration of the xFi option to monitor and measure the speed of the connection Comcast is delivering to my XB7 modem, has turned to the familiar frustration of not receiving the gigabit service level in a reliable fashion.
More than twice today I have been asked by the xFi app to restart the XB7 because of connection speeds that are lower than my premium speed tier.
The restarts did not alleviate the intermittent problem from recurring.
Maybe the XB7's ability to maintain a consistent gigabit connection is still a work in progress?
Screenshot_20200926-121543_xFi.jpg
Screenshot_20200926-121457_xFi.jpg
Highlighted
New Poster

What type of devices are you using to test your wireless connection with?

Laptops? Smart Phone?

How old are the devices?

In order to take advantage of gigabit speeds you need a device that has wireless AC or AX. While AC has a max theoretical of in the gigabits speed, the practical speeds are much lower like 100-400 megabits. Wireless AX can is supposed to be much higher like a theoretical of 10gbs but ends up being something closer to 1.2gbs max and has a practical speed of closer to 700-900 mbs. This is all subject to network congestion, device capability, concurrent activity, distance from the device and other often intangible factors.

People come on these boards hoping for solutions but each situation is unique and therefore requires individual investigation. Sorry if this bursts any bubbles. I'm going through the same issues right now and I have decided I'm just going to hardwire my gaming computer to the router to get the best possible speed.

Highlighted
Contributor

I am primarily using a Samsung Note10 + 5G that is wifi 6 compatible.
I have separate names for my 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz wifi networks on the XB7, generally preferring the 5 Ghz SSID for faster speeds.
I am confused by your comments because my most recent posts have only been about measuring and verifying the Comcast speed delivered to my modem - not the speed I am receiving on the device.
Shouldn't that measurement to the modem be the same at any given point in time when I use the xFi app measurement tool on any compatible device, like also with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 I often use as a second wifi device?
If I am not reliably receiving the proper gigabit speed tier to the XB7 modem, how can I possibly ever hope to realize the 5 Ghz wifi speeds I previously enjoyed on the XB6 modem in rooms beyond where the XB7 unit is positioned?
Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1- I agree with you and disagree with nubsors statement. The test to the modem to verify plan speed is from the substation nodes and does a loop back speed and error check to the modem. That said, it was when I did them many years ago for a company connecting TV and radio stations to mainframes. I wouldn't think xfinity wants the customer to see those numbers, and get pics of it because they always tell me it looks good. Whatever device that initiates that test is irrelevant. It kicks off the test but isn't included in the test, unless its the test that I see and then it does run to the device. I checked all the screen options and never saw that I could do this test to the gateway,, I can only run to a device.. If I run through a router it drops the ethernet speed in half,, but straight from the xb7 it runs fine to my pcs with gigabit ethernet cards.. You have the s10+, I do too and thats all that can use the wifi6 for me. Its speed being wifi tested like 413 down and 40 up so wifi is not giving and won't give plan speeds. Plan speed is just to the modem. Modem drops it some for the gigabit it sure seems. Then cable quality and length and ethernet port and pc can drop the speed more, that I agree with nubsors. Wifi6 seems to eat battery more polling constantly too so I use 4glte at home. I fear doing any modem reset not knowing what may be set to reload but I should check my software version and see if it matches yours.
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm interested in this discussion as I just 'upgraded' from the XB6 to the XB7 and it's definitely been disappointing so far. It keeps droping signals and some devices simply haven't connected, like multiple Alexa devices and iPhone / iPad. They connect, then drop off. I didn't have this issue with the XB6. 

Highlighted
Contributor

My measured speeds to the XB7 modem on the gigabit speed tier were generally good again on Sunday, after often being in the 600-800 range on Saturday.
But this Monday morning I have often been languishing in the 400-500 Mbps range according to the xFi app utility.
Each time the speed falls short, I am encouraged to reboot the modem. But that achieves nothing.
Finally the xFi app instructed that I needed to chat with an agent for a service appointment.
She was getting the same poor result, so a technician will be here tomorrow.
Screenshot_20200928-074734_xFi.jpg
Highlighted
Contributor

Measured speed provided from Comcast to the XB7 modem are excellent today so far.
I've had to set back my service appointment to the weekend.
It is significant to note that after many months with the unsatisfactory XB7 upgrade, this is the first time that a trouble ticket has been willingly issued based on the added leverage of the xFi app utility evidence that tends to suggest my gigabit connection speed is frequently unstable, often connecting in the 400 - 800 Mbps range, far below my gigabit speed tier.
Up until this point, no one at Comcast was willing to admit there was any problem.
Could a solution now be at hand?

Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1 - I still can't find a gateway test so have to settle to my devices. Are you doing your test on ethernet to a pc or wifi to your s10+? I am 5 feet from my xb7. On my s10+ and 5ghz, xfi test gives me 518 down, I didnt run it for up. On speedtest.net I get 571 down and 35 up. Going to my ethernet pc xfi gives me 717 down, yet speedtest.net gives 944.8 down and 39.1 up. Then something I found in xfinity is myspeedcheck.net and it gives my pc 947.8 down and 41.9 up. I'm not too impressed with the xfi numbers. Here's a full link to the spellchecker I found:
myspeedcheck.net/speedtest/xfinity-internet-speed-test
Walking downstairs and my s10+ goes to 421 down and 41 up. Guess I'm about as close as they're going to get me to 1gigabit but would sure like that gateway test..
Highlighted
Contributor

Here's how the Comcast speed to the modem test might look when your area receives the necessary updates.
Good luck.
Screenshot_20200929-114132_xFi.jpg
Screenshot_20200929-114107_xFi.jpg
Highlighted
Expert

Just out of curiosity, will it let you do the same thing if you went to the xFi web portal?

https://internet.xfinity.com

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes. It will here in Tennessee.
Highlighted
Contributor

The Comcast speed to the XB7 modem has improved lately, typically exceeding 1000 Mbps.
I have cancelled my postponed service visit after alerting the empathic local new installation manager about the concrete xFi test data evidencing the fluctuating provisioning issue.
I suspect he was able to orchestrate the fix with the maintenance department without disclosing the root cause of the problem.
This appears to be real progress. But the stable provisioning has not translated into better 5 Ghz network speeds throughout the house commensurate with those previously enjoyed with the XB6.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thats good to hear oldmanriver1. I had an outage a few hours and it was indicated on the outage map. All was back up in some 6 hours and stable. Agree with you on the 5ghz and xb7, it has about a 20 foot less radius power area. With it moved from near a window to the other side if the room, more centered to the house and still upstairs I get wifi, but my downstairs directv box and firestick need the 2.4ghz for that strong signal, that were 5ghz. I still don't get 1000 out or your test to the modem even on the ethernet test, more in line with 950, and half that on the s10+ if I sit 5 feet from the xb7. If downstairs maybe 230 on the s10+. I find just turning off the phone wifi and using the att 4g lte while at home works fine and gives better battery life. Thanks for the update
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Do you know if any firmware update has fixed the horrendous Wifi coverage it had ( a known fault that they shipped with)? I got gig xfinity 3 month ago, and within 2 weeks , I had to put it in bridge mode and but a google nest wifi solutiopn. I was getting 900mbps intpo house , but ONLY 60 mbps from 1 FOOT away on 5 testing devices. It then droped to below 20 mbps one room away and no connection 2 rooms away. thx 

Highlighted
Contributor

To simonoaks - we don't know the devices you test. S10+ can get the wifi6, when close to the xb7. Newer laptops or phones can probably get the 802.11ac speeds for speeds in the 100 120 speeds. Older laptops may just be able to run 892.11n, I suggest in the 50 to 90 speeds, then real old may just get the 802.11g speeds for 20mbps or so. With that said, if walls are between the device and xb7, and you use the same name for the 2.4 and 5ghz channels - this xb7 5ghz is sooo weak your device may grab the stronger signal from the 2.4ghz and boom, you show worse speeds. As I posted before, my directv and prime firestick downstairs get a stronger signal from 2.4ghz so I use it. I named my 2.4 and 5ghz channels different names so I can know which I am attached to. Using the same name your device grabs the strong signal, with seperate names I may get a weaker signal but maybe faster throughput. On my older laptop it doesn't even recognize 5ghz, so I bought an external USB antenna and it pushes faster speeds but not ac or ax. Sooo, xb7 wifi6 is marketing hype for the newest devices, that are REAL CLOSE to the xb7 and it sure seems the 5ghz is much less powerful than the xb6. I'm not aware of any firmware upgrades to goose that 5ghz. And I still don't have the speedtest that oldmanriver1 has shown that tests to the modem, I can just test to my s10+.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same here and they have no problem with charging the money for a service not being received. And my up is 35. They 1GB in bold but 940 in fine print. I even went and replaced the xb7. After reading this forum I now know it's Comcast. Unfortunately I'm stuck until fiber hits my neighborhood.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm in the Memphis area as well and can confirm everything you said. Some days my 1GB service going directly to the modem on a cat7 is getting 296-350 and sometimes 60. I have a tech come back out and really has no idea.
I added a MoCa network to minimize it being worse for some devices.
Highlighted
Contributor

The measured low connection speed to the XB7 persists intermittently.
The xFi app urges me to restart the modem to fix the issue, but after a handful of failed fixes I am urged to schedule a tech visit.
In the meantine I was able to reach an overseas Internet tech who admitted for the first that there were connection issues with the XB7 and some devices.
He told me that he was prepared to reprovision my XB7 at an enhanced level, but two attempts to do this from afar failed to reboot my modem.
When we coordinated for me to disconnect the XB7 power cord temporarily, he promised to call me back if we were disconnected. But he never did. That made no change.
With a second wind later in the afternoon I spoke with another overseas Internet agent who agreed that trying another version of the XB7 (not the Technicolor model) might be better than rolling a truck.
He could not specify the CM version with the Puma chipset I requested, but he assured me that it would be an "updated XB7" model.
Let's hope that order does not get mysteriously cancelled as others have been in the past.
I subsequently cancelled my service call because if the third XB7 modem also is problematic, then there would be a better case for a tech visit.
Of note, it is typically necessary to wait to speak to a billing supervisor in order to receive service credits for failure to receive consistent gigabit speeds to the XB7 modem.
Personally, I insist upon tracking down these token monthly credits so that there is a trail for the corporate bean counters to know that everything in my area is not OK while maintaining a certain level of optimism.

Highlighted
Contributor

Seems we agree, it ain't what its billed as. I was down again for several hours 10/20 from midnight to 5am. I clicked for text notifications and it replied not available, and affected 2,500 of us.. speed seems the same, ethernet popping 850 to 940 or so, wifi right beside the xb7 on s10+ 400 something, and it drops good downstairs. I get delays going to different sites, like the packets sent are blocked or getting kicked back for retransmission. If you saw the movie LUCY, where she is moving screens painting fast- sure wasn't comcast wifi!! Of course it could be all the Shelby county kids doing their classes on line.... I didn't know there was another version/company build for the xb7. I'd give that a try too, but what they have flat does not work as far as consistent speed, fast connections, or reliability. This is why I canceled my phone years ago. I needed a phone, and internet was dropping all the time. Can't imagine having the phone/internet/TV bundle! Glad I have at&t unlimited 4glte as a backup. Let us know if you get that new xb7, model and all so we can try for one if yours works. Ed
Highlighted
Contributor

The replacement XB7 came rather quickly via UPS, but it was yet another Technicolor unit. I went ahead and installed it but the results were disheartening. Among other issues, the new unit's upload speeds were so slow that the xFi app utility for measuring speed to my modem would not complete its cycle with a numerical output. A reboot did not aid the problem. Increased latency was an issue, too.
So I quickly disconnected the unit (my 3rd XB7) and reinstalled my existing XB7-T that often receives gigabit speed from Comcast to the modem.
The UPS shipment was relatively hassle free, and it was worth a try before pursuing other avenues.
The fact that two XB7 modems with identical model numbers and firmware versions do not perform equally is somewhat troubling.

Highlighted
Contributor

Yet another round of xFi Comcast "speed to my xb7 modem" tests fell short, often far short, of the 900 Mbps acid test that triggers a request to restart the modem.
Multiple reset speed test to the modem failures then trigger a message to schedule a tech visit via chat for a closer look.
I have gone through this scheduling process a handful of times this last month only to cancel the standing appointment when the provisioning seemed to improve to a maximum level of around 1165 Mbps. But that never lasted.
But this time I will keep the appointment even though experience has taught me that an entry level tech visit's response will be that there is nothing wrong due to the intermittent nature of the measured shortfalls.
Maybe a more efficient updated Cat 6e or Cat 7 drop line to the house will ease the provisioning constraint? I prefer to remain optimistic.
Keep in mind that it is likely impossible for 5 Ghz XB7 wireless speeds to match the former XB6 speeds if the modem provisioning is often fluctuating below the gigabit range, which has been the norm since upgrading modems.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I also noticed the gateway speed test was removed.  I think this is a disgrace considering that's the only way to test the speed coming in to the house.   I have a gigabit plan but not close to that speed on my hardwired connection to my computer using cat7 cables.   Have had techs come out and they do nothing.  Now I feel xfinity doesn't want us to know the incoming speed.

Highlighted
Contributor

dave6g- agreed, I never got the test loop to the modem. Just the device which is just my s10+ or directv genie.
Highlighted
Contributor

I have previously posted a screen grab of what the speed to the modem test offering looks like on the xFi app.
Now with the tool restored, these deficient to the modem test results in the 400, 600, and 800 Mbps ranges are the concrete stuff that provide leverage for service credits from supervisors in the often maddening, time intensive process of Comcast chat and phone agents.
I hope the app firmware update is released in your region soon.

Highlighted
Contributor

oldmanriver1 - yes I saw your test to the modem post earlier, but I still just get the test to my device. If I read daveg6 right he says that test is gone now to the modem for him. I replied to your earlier post about 6e or 7 cable but it doesn't show. You shouldn't need newer cable as what you have worked well on the xb6 didn't it? I'm convinced the xb7 is hype with a near worthless wifi6 and a proven weaker transmitter for 2.4 and 5ghz.
Highlighted
Contributor

I never had the ability to measure the speed to the modem independently on the XB6. But 5 Ghz device speed tests to the rooms beyond where the XB6 was positioned yielded faster and far more consistent measurements. What was once over 400 Mbps with the XB6 now struggles to reach 250 Mbps on the XB7, often falling short of 200 Mbps.
Such device speed measurements seem to fluctuate widely on the XB7 to these same locations perhaps due to the unstable received modem speeds.
Highlighted
Contributor

Tonight's random tests show these deficient speeds to the XB7 modem.
Earlier in the day, the speeds were generally holding over 1000 Mbps.
I wonder whether the problem is with the modem design or whether the local Comcast node is unable to sustain the promised provisioning without RF line repairs/uogrades. Or could it be a combination of both issues?
I hope they send someone competent on Saturday.

Screenshot_20201027-183646_Xfinity.jpg
Screenshot_20201027-183842_Xfinity.jpg
Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1 - it urks me that I don't get your gateway test option. But your numbers would irritate me more. Since your xb6 worked well you're cable and connection to the modem should be good. I am convinced the xb7 is a failure. Like the directv wireless genie.. they kept saying an update was coming,, and several did. It would not transmit a signal worth having. I kept it one year, wrote BBB, and directv replaced the wireless with the wired that I had. .today I lost my xfinity internet. Checked outages and it said all is OK, nothing found. Yet it had the same substation with a red circle and ! In it. Said unplanned outage, 51-500 tv/phone/internet down. If you get the tech I got- enjoy his quick tone and explanation you will not get 1 gigabyte speeds, and lower speeds are normal, and they do fluctuate. But your numbers aren't even a good 600mbps plan. Let us know what happens. Ed
Highlighted
Contributor

Received another firmware update on the XB7-T. I do not notice an immediate impact, but I will keep an eye.
Screenshot_20201028-160225_Gallery.jpg
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Finally have the speed to gateway test in the xfi app.
Xb7-t
No issues, getting more than a gig
Highlighted
Contributor

adammusic22 - Sitting 4 feet from my xb7, my speedtest gives 658.31 down and 41.17 up , after unplugging it to get that best result, while it would give on a good day @940 and 41! Another 1gbit capable win10 pc gives 806.67 and 41.91. So I run their diagnostics check and everything looks good it says. I do their reset modem - and we wait.. aahhh, 855, 864 down and 41.93 up. Glad I'm only paying for 1gigabit service, and getting 86% of it.. the other system now gives a whopping 731.24d and 41.89 up. Ya just can't fight'em. Well we can, we just can't win. Must be all the kids online doing their school work.. yeh, thats it... Thanks for your post. Ed
Highlighted
Contributor

Well great scott!!! I found the test to the gateway in the xfi app.
Screenshot_20201029-131505_Xfinity.jpg
Highlighted
Contributor

The tech visit on Saturday morning did not fix the problem of inconsistent effective gigabit modem provisioning.
These posted measurements were taken just a few minutes ago.
Early in the day yesterday service was stable above 1000 Mbps, but by 7:30 pm last night, as well, the measured speed from Comcast to my XB7 was lagging.
The contractor tech yesterday removed one outside splitter and then begrudgingly reinstalled a new splitter on the XB7 modem coaxial cable (only after the removal drove modem bonded downstream channels to over a 10 power level).
There was no discussion about my specific provisioning issue. The contractor tech never climbed the pole to the 4 way tap amplifier behind the property. He had little concern that his interventions rendered the signal to my two X1 4K DVRs to unacceptably higher power levels that result in noticably degraded image quality on a 75 inch TV, particularly on the on demand premium channels.
Just as I had imagined in my mind's eye, his concern was whether my service was merely operable, and not whether it was working optimally.
It was only my demand to speak to his supervisor that led to the installation of the newer splitter.
He actually tried to tell me that higher than a 10 power level on the modem channels was a positive thing when I knew that not to be true. Is it possible that he actually believed that?
When I was instructed by the xFi app this morning to schedule another service visit to to slower than expected speeds to the modem, the agent could not discriminate between speed to the modem and speed to my devices.
That person suggested that perhaps I was connecting too many devices.
She could not grasp that the core of my complaint was about inconsistent effective gigabit provisioning. She kept suggesting I try ethernet connectivity.
I was just plain sad.

Screenshot_20201101-185840_Xfinity.jpg
Screenshot_20201101-185801_Xfinity.jpg
Highlighted
Contributor

oldmanriver1 - that is exactly how my tech acted weeks ago. Flat said what he wanted and I had to accept it. Won't get 1gigabit, and it fluctuates. But, I checked today and surprise, I was to the gateway fine. And have you seen that xfinity is dropping our free security from Norton? Going to provide us with their security. Somehow I find that as protecting as, uh, nothing. Free Norton is a big plus for me staying, along with there is zero competition. Sorry to hear you have no recourse, perhaps writing BBB.ORG. It'll at least get you above the texting to a tech. It ALL started with a simple modem replacement, xb6 to xb7. Drop in service quality was immediate, multiple xb7 replacements do the same thing. AS MINE DID. I tried 3 xb7, and the dvr will not indicate 4k speed, but my xb6 did!!! You're in olive branch?? Go to the xfinity store on goodman, take your xb7, and ask for an xb6. They didn't have one at the store my last time and had to order one. Don't call xfinity for one, they charge for the shipping while the store doesn't!!! My xb6 came in as I got my 3rd xb7 working and I was hopeful that wifi6 was worth something. Absolutely worthless, as is the xb7 wifi. Good luck, you could use some!! Ed
Screenshot_20201101-105011_Xfinity.jpg
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I just found the gateway test in the xfinity app once again. I am getting 1196mps speeds tonight. We’ll see if this lasts.
Highlighted
Contributor

daveg6 - looks good. I wonder it the kids being online for school actually are tapping bandwidth, or if xfinity backs us down during school hours. I'll be looking through the days and evenings now that I found the test. I'm pleased seeing my numbers and yours is encouraging. But oldmanriver1s speed to the gateway is pretty poor and his tech didn't help at all. Plus the wifi, for my testing, is not as strong as the xb6 was. Thanks for the info.
Highlighted
Contributor

My speeds to the modem were still deficient intermittently yesterday, but by 7:30 pm they were roughly half of my gigabit provisioning.
Worse, I just noticed that somehow the contractor installer had managed to chronically cripple my upload speeds that were reliably just above 40 Mbps. Now the upload struggles to reach 30 Mbps.
Last night the xFi speed to modem measured my upload at 15 Mbps.
To summarize, the tech visit did not improve or stabilize my download provisioning or effective devices speeds.
His odd choice of splitter repositioning, only on the coax route to the XB7, caused my upload speeds to be compromised.
And without the aid of the splitter on my two X1 dvr coax lines, he raised the power levels beyond 10 dBmV which causes the tuner frequencies servicing the premium channels and others to suffer a loss of image quality on a very large screen 4K TV.
Because he was primarily dispatched to remedy an Internet problem, he had little concern for how his interventions might adversely effect my video signals.
He had promised to coordinate a trouble ticket to the maintenance department for my local drop amplifier and share that information with me. But after a while on his cell, he pulled away without providing the promised update.
I will try again today.

Highlighted
Contributor

oldmanriver1 - thats maddening !!. Good luck.
Highlighted
Contributor

A intended plea for help in a chat to explore canceling my services and moving to ATT gigabit out of necessity led no where on the repair side, but yielded another small service credit.
A real phone conversation with an overseas advanced repair tech led to remote diagnostics confirming that there is in fact a signal issue coming to my residence from the Comcast rf network, so they scheduled another tech to come tomorrow. Hopefully that person will not be another contractor/installer.
Thank you for your replies.
Highlighted
Contributor

I had a superior older gentleman "fixer" tech last night. He was patient, informative, and a good listener.
He strung a new coax line from my rear yard utility pole to the house to fix one unspecified issue.
He removed the suspect in-home splitter leading to the XB7 that was installed by the contractor install tech.
He submitted a trouble ticket to maintenance due to the low signal to noise ratio on my upstream service, which had been a chronic problem for many years
now.
He gave me his cell number for follow up on the situation.
I told him upon leaving that my worst fear was the my issues were due to deferred maintenance on the local rf network.
He told me that concern was a possibility.
I am giving his new configuration a week or so before making a judgment because he indicated changes might be made from afar coming from the plant.
I want to see this through.
As he climbed his ladder to being down the old drop coax I heard him say - "Sometimes the best is not good enough". He repeated that line twice.
He was great.

Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1 - at least you got a definite maybe things may or may not get better. Sooo, before he left - did you get good down and up numbers?? Does the wifi reach your dvr to show 4k? Mine stopped showing 4k on the meter when I got the xb7, using either 2.4 and 5mhz channels of xb7. But thats another problem, you're still trying to show its good to the xb7. Better that an afternoon soap opera, keep us informed. One thing I wonder, is WHY does xfinity want to open the network with xfinitywifi when the signal won't even go downstairs in the house - well, barely does much less out in the yard or across the street?
Highlighted
Contributor

I get 4K via Comcast DVR only with certain on demand events via coax connection and moca. Otherwise I stream 4K programming on the 5 Ghz wifi network on a Roku device.
In regards to relorting the speed changes after the good tech visit, either positive, negative or neutral, I'd rather wait a week or so until his attempted changes from the plant signal have a chance of being put into action. I hope you can understand.
Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1 - absolutely understand. If the guy was good, give his stuff a running chance to get back and someone maybe adjust and refine numbers. I'm doing a speedtest on my dtv receiver now. When testing of xb6 it would indicate I could get 4k, xb7, this is what its shown. Hope it works good for ya..
20201105_175822.jpg
Highlighted
Contributor

Try using a VPN service to see if this device is being throttled.
For instance, my "fast.com" results are now mysteriously capped at about 160-180 Mbps with the XB7 on 5 Ghz wifi.
But on my VPN service it runs almost twice as fast.
It ran even faster on the old XB6 5 Ghz network.
But your results are so severe I suspect there may be another issue.

Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1 - I use more firestick4k or chromecast (both pick up the 5mhz better) than directv and won't pay the extra for directv 4k anyway. And the dvr is actually on the 2.4mhz xb7 channel because the 5mhz dropped the signal so bad it kept showing signal lost, even though the tv kept playing because it's satellite, not internet. Xb7 dropped its signal strength from xb6 immediately. Nothing changed, unplug xb6, plug in xb7, wifi signal in the toilet and never came back. xb7 is a fail, wifi6 is a joke.
Highlighted
Contributor

I did not receive the callback that was foreshadowed yesterday from the good tech who clarified that he was emailing his reports to local Memphis department heads (for a second time). I trust he will call soon.
He told me that he did not submit a traditional maintenance trouble ticket because it would likely be dismissed without action.
To reiterate, my services are all working, but now, after the last on site visit, I am regularly (and no longer intermittently) measuring download speeds that are significantly lower than my gigabit speed tier - always with the admonition to restart my modem. Additionally, my upload speed has taken a significant hit, likely caused by the known low upload SNR.
The removal of the splitter has driven up the power levels on my two 4K X1 DVRs causing a less sharp images on a 75 inch particularly on the higher frequency tuner channels, including my premium offerings.
No one locally is willing to discuss the measured speed to the modem provisioning instability/shortfall issue that was recently verified by the overseas advanced repair agent by looking back over the last 30 days of the XB7 performance.
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the way the advance features of the XB7 modem was designed. Maybe it's just not receiving the lab quality rf signals it requires to deliver its promise.
I wish I could say that I was optimistic that the local rf network/plant signal could be repaired or reconfigured to deliver my services in a more optimal manner.

Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1 - your fight is going nowhere and I might suggest these 2 things. Because I've had favorable results in past problems with comcast. Write bbb.org. they take a summary and then more detailed problem - but they have a limit for input, and someone from xfinity will call you in a few days. They finally had a crew at the main intersection with a bucket truck running new cable under the street. Or, go to the store and get another xb6. It'll be someone else's but it'll be an xb6 they I HIGHLY believe us a stronger wifi box than xb7. So you may not get the 1gbit speed but the stronger wifi should kick the dvr to working again. I wonder why I don't swap back to xb6 but I'm tired of the fight. Good luck, but with BBB.ORG it'll go above the local techs and flow back. Plus it puts a complaint with BBB. Good luck. This is my right now, 11/10 at 11:35 speed. Ed
Screenshot_20201110-113457_Xfinity.jpg
Highlighted
Contributor

Just to clarify, my Comcast X