Community Forum

XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

Highlighted
Contributor

XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

My wired download speed on the XB6 was over 1100 Mbps. The wired speed on the new XB7 caps out at 950 Mbps.
Is this modem relatively deficient, or has the overhead cushion on my gigabit service been eliminated?
The wireless speeds are also not as robust throughout the house as the service I enjoyed with the XB6, either.
But that could also be a function of skimping provisioning.
Bottom line, this new piece of hardware has not created a good impression, and it certainly has not lived up to its marketing hype so far.
I have already wasted over an hour with clueless, unempowered chat agents trying to get my previous overhead provisioning restored.
Any suggested solutions or help would be appreciated.
Should I really be content with lesser performance from the new gear?
I think not.
Perhaps I should keep the XB6 and return the XB7?
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

I was finally able to confirm from the xFi app that the Internet speed to my new XB7 modem is in fact often languishing in the 600 to 800 Mbps range instead of the 1 gigabit speed I am supposed to receive.
This, despite being told my multiple agents that everything was fine.
To be continued...
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Brah same here. I have mt XB7 Briged to my XR500 Pro Gaming Router an my speeds get degraded to as low as 200MBPS an upload degraded to 28 mbps! Its stupid man! 

Highlighted
Contributor

I think everyone ought to be fair minded in these posts, but the fact that the xFi app option to measure speed to my modem has now been removed as a clickable option does not pass "the smell test."
Highlighted
Expert

It’s a known issue according to here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32739847-

From there:

XB7 Gateway UI is the same as for the XB6 Gateway. An upcoming XB7 firmware update will correct this with a new UI, release date not set.

WAN/LAN port speed issues when in Bridge mode. Workaround: Reset Gateway to Factory Defaults. Activate Gateway using xfinity.com/activate. After activation, change gateway password. Then enable Bridge mode. Firmware update will fix this issue, release date not set.

Compatibility issues with all Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi routers. Netgear and Comcast both have firmware updates planned to fix these issues, release dates unknown.

Various unspecified issues with Windows 10, with Microsoft working on patches.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

While mine showed the clickable area to run a Speedtest directly for the XB7 itself, mine clocked at 1.1 Gbps. It could be possible to have cable signal issues or the one you received could be defective. Things happen.

Check at http://10.0.0.1

I’m not denying the realness of getting 1.1 Gbps over a 1 Gigabit Ethernet Connection by 950 Mbps is more realistic to be achieving on a Gigabit Ethernet Connection. If you used the 2.5 Gb port with a 2.5 Gb NIC.

After checking signals, if you are just dissatisfied with its performance then go back to your XB6.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you for your patient and informative responses.
There supposedly is a 2nd new XB7 shipping to me soon, and I have yet to return the XB6.
Life would be so much easier if the Comcast agents immediately acknowledged the known issues.
Just like my failed Xi6 internet cable box ultimate install failure before opting for a 2nd 4K DVR, this feels like I am paying to be a beta tester once again.
Highlighted
Contributor

I have received service credits for my hours of wasted time with chat agents. That buys some patience on my part.
Three times a replacement XB7 was promised to be dispatched, with the first two being mysteriously canceled without adequate explanation.
Most troubling is the fact that any speed test to a server other than Comcast in Memphis, TN is registering well below the 300 Mbps download level.
This tends to further prove my concern that I am paying for gigabit service (like the performance I enjoyed on my former XB6 unit) but receiving far less reliable download speed with the XB7.
Previously with the XB6, my fast.com measured speeds were commensurate with the local Comcast speed test results.
Now my measured speed to Netflix servers caps out at just over 160 Mbps.
Again, adding insult to injury, chat agents represent that everything is OK, claiming no knowledge of known XB7 performance issues.
Surely someone in the Comcast tech universe understands what is going on here.
Additionally, but equally troubling, I keep reading the XB7 marketing piece that touts "unprecedented" wireless performance (which appears not be realized relative to the XB6 wireless performance in my single story home). I wonder if anyone in Philadelphia responsible for such dramatic, potentially deceptive and disengenous marketing claims is feeling guilty.
Highlighted
New Poster

The difference between 1100 mbps and 950 isnt really noticeable on one device. Most devices run perfectly fine even at 50-100 mbps. Large file download times would be the only way you would notice the difference. If you were seeing 1100 on a 1Gig service then that's the abnormality, not the other way around. Speed tests are accurate using only the comcast speed test and 1 device that's capable of 1G hard wired to the modem.
Highlighted
New Poster

You won't see 1G unless you have a device capable of 1G and its hardwired to the modem with no other devices on the network and using the xfinity speed test. Even at that it will usually max out between 950-970Mbps. The difference between 500 and 950-970 isnt noticeable unless downloading larger files. 1 device only needs 50-100 Mbps to operate perfectly fine.
Highlighted
New Poster

Probably a signal issue
Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast is only responsible for its network. Testing with the xfinity speed test, with 1 device wired to the modem, and no other wired or wireless devices connected will give you the most accurate speed test. You cant expect a speed test to be 1G to every destination you test. That's not realistic. The xfinity speed test only tests to the xfinity server your service is fed from. Also, no broadband provider guarantees speeds on residential accounts. It's in the contract. Because of the type of network there can be fluctuations in speed.
Highlighted
Contributor

Weeks have passed and the wireless speeds throughout my home in far rooms for 5 Ghz devices on the 5 Ghz SSID are still relatively depressed and disappointing new with the XB7 relative to the former XB6 modem.

Where I once enjoyed reliable 300-450 Mbps connection in certain favorite nesting spots, I now only achieve 150-300 Mbps on my speediest devices. I consider that to be significant 5 Ghz performance drop, possibly due to a smaller number of 5 Ghz antennas in the XB7 - or the possible  inability to maintain steady 1000 Mbps provisioning pending a firmware update.

I have never had unrealistic expectations for gigabit level service. It was the dubious Xfinity marketing materials touting "unprecedented" XB7 wireless that has fueled my dissatisfaction, coupled with the unexplained removal of the xFi tool to measure the speed to my modem at will.

Nonetheless, your responses are appreciated.

Time will tell.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm going to follow this post. 

I just upgraded my service to 1gbs from 200mbs and got the XB7.  I am not seeing very good speeds with the XB7, but I am only on day 2, and I will continue to test.  I also have a self owned CM1000 modem and an Orbi RB50 mesh system so I might put the XB7 in bridge mode to see if that helps my speeds.

Thanks for posting.

Highlighted
Contributor

Have you heard any new information about XB7 known issue resolution from reliable sources, please?
Highlighted
Contributor

It's not that the XB7 router modem is not functioning. It always has.

The issue appears to be that wirelessly the XB7 in forced mesh mode is not optimized to deliver the fastest possible 5 Ghz speeds to the latest Wi-Fi capable devices (as opposed to my experience with the XB6 modem).

"Good enough" wireless speed seems to be the new goal, possibly due to additional throttling.

Automatic remote selection of 5 Ghz channel frequency (in particular) is often detrimental to the known best local frequency option.

Life is a relative experience. If one has enjoyed a certain level of gigabit performance, and then it was dialed back to a significant degree (like my 5 Ghz Wi-Fi speeds throughout my home), it's difficult to believe that our family is receiving fair value for the premium Internet speed tier we are paying for monthly.

I have agreed to wait for a 90 day period (with token good faith service credits) to see if firmware updates to the XB7 will improve the 5 Ghz speed and wireless signal strength situation.

It will be interesting to see if the XB7 is working as designed or a work in progress with firmware improvements coming down the line near-term.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I just switched over from ATT (they only give me 50mbps line speed) , so I went for the gig with Xfinity with the advantage package for unlimited data . 

Been a nightmare since installing 3 weeks ago. Basically , I get 950 mbps via ethernet, which is fine, but only 50-60 mbps wifi from 10 inches away. I have tried 6 devices and all the same , how am I getting such a massive drop off ?

The engineer who installed the wiring in my house , said even in the next room, I should see 2-300 mbps. But he said he was low on routers so could not change it out.

I conacted Xfinity and installed new router, same issue. I also get drop offs and weird stuff going on. Wife is now complaining I changed (even though I we were only getting 20 mbps from ATT, she saw it as working and stable) 

I just got the message saying I am entiltled to free pods, however, is there any point in those ? I mean , great if you want to extend a good signal , but are they going to make things run at 2-300 meg? 

Just wondering what to do , they are offering to send an engineer out , but I cannot see what they can do , that i cannot. 

Would it help if I tried to ask for the XB6 and try that, is it worth trying one more router from them? I have 1 week left on the 30 day period, so on a time crunch. 

SOOOO hard doing this stuff over chat with morons who keep wanting to just to a reset. thx!

Highlighted
Contributor

The only thing I can tell you for sure is to avoid the pods at all cost in my opinion.

They are disappointingly slow in relation to your speed tier. Probably only meant for areas that are getting no functioning signal.

Perhaps the issue is in the quality of your neighborhood signal or your individual drop.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I see, ok , thanks will definately bear that in mind.

My speed into my house is great at 950mbps , it is the massive drop off over wifi that is the issue. thx 

Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1- I test to Memphis and olivebranch with my 3rd xb7 from xb6 and range from 550 to 930 with the 1g service. Have the same experiences calling. Its all great from the Phillipines but obvious the wifi isn't shaking hands with the ethernet as well as the xb6. My Samsung s10+ can't run a speedtest on the xb7, and most web sites take 30 seconds to a minute to load. All 4 amazon fire sticks fail to load and streaming from my s10+ to chromecast can't get to the chromecast because the wifi is a dud. I'm supposed to have an xb6 here tomorrow, they had to ship it as memphis and olivebranch didn't have any. I moved my xb7 from one room to the hallway to get closer to a firestick, still dropped the signal and never had a problem with xb6. Ta da- an hours with a tech on Friday, 30 minutes Saturday for a software load, and an hour 45 Sunday plus a drive to olivebranch to order an xb6.
Highlighted
Contributor

simonoaks- I agree on the ethernet speed. It's that slower less range wifi. I have 3 laptops and a wireless router working - but of 4 fire sticks - none work, no signal and I've unplugged their power, moved the xb7 some 15 feet closer, firestick will come up then drop the connection. My s10+ can not run a speedtest, wife's s9 can't. We can't stream to chromecast, no wifi. I'm waiting on UPS to deliver my replacement- hopefully the XB6. Wish I could have kept my XB6 a few days but local store insisted on having it back before giving a new XB7. The XB7 looks great on paper, all those antennas. Shame they can't reach out or handshake with the ethernet better.
Highlighted
Contributor

From Friday to Tuesday I've had bad to no wifi, 3 xb7, and good 800-900 ethernet on a machine that has a 1g port and cat 6 cable. A replacement xb6 arrived Tuesday afternoon, I was on an xb6 but wanted those xb7 extra ports and to see that ax on my s10+. ALL OF A SUDDEN, AND I MEAN LIKE 2 PM TUESDAY, my s10+ could get on the xb7 wifi. It reached sites that wouldn't load, it ran speedtest.net, it did everything through the xb7! I tried the 4 firesticks- all ran great. Like someone turned on some magic switch. I checked the xb7 software, the same I had com_3.14s10p2 . Ran a speedtest on my desktop - got 302 down!!! Say wut!?! Moved the cable from the 2.5g #4port to 1g#1 port, got 850 then 817, then 912 down, all 41 up. 3 laptops work, getting 127 down- in that area and they're maybe 20 feet away in other rooms. Outside my s10+ on the xb7 wifi got 135 down and 37 up, downstairs it got 500 down and 35 up. I don't know what happened, but something definitely changed and somewhere in the noon to 2pm time frame. And my adt cameras show through Pulse and they come up quickly- the pulse box is wired and in #3 slot. Ssooo, do I put this xb6 back on?? I think I'm keeping this xb7 for awhile and running and checking stuff. But the xb6 is very nicely packaged - really looks new but I wouldn't think it is. 912 ethernet down is unusual, I've normally had 850-880 with the xb6. The speed on my s10+ - I assume it's using that wifi6 -AX- because my icon has a tiny 6 by it - can't complain about 629 down. Guess a week or 2 checking will tell, lose a signal, back to the xb6.
Highlighted
Contributor

The thread seems to be idle, so I'll ramble about the xb6. I plugged the replacement xb6 in Wednesday, thought it was great but uploads showed just 5mbps.. The xb7 has run fine and 4 firesticks have stayed connected, as have laptops, and chromecast since tuesday afternoon through today, Thursday 8/20. I find the fast ax speeds drop on my s10+ - BUT - if I put it into airplane mode for just a moment, then turn airplane mode off - the speeds get great. I mean from like some 127mbps to 500mbps with I assume the AX kicking in. I find the range of the AX is too funny low. I've read on tests of 10 meters behind 1 wall, and 15 meters behind 2 walls. AND WE GET EXCITED AT THE SPEEDS??? FOR SOME 44 feet behind 2 walls!! anyway. I have tried 2 days to get to talk with someone at comcast. The activation will not complete for the xb6. at the end the xfi just has its circle spinning. Speedtest shows some 700 down but will not give over 5.8 up!!! BUT, the xb7 that I just took off shows 850 down and 41 up. It's not the line, comcast shows me with 3 modems under my account. I've been holding a 3rd time for comcast and am at 40 minutes now. Add to this that Memphis gave out 100,000 laptops and tablets for their home school stuff _ I may just plug the xb7 back in and take the ride with weaker wifi and it's wierd wifi to ethernet handling. .

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I have my XB7 bridged to an ORBI and, on the hardwired side, am getting about 940 mbps down and 41 mbps up.  It was not always like that.  I was plagued with poor wired download speeds until I ran TCPOptimizer (a free program) on my hardwired Windows 10 desktop.

If you are having speed issues, try running your speed tests in Safe Mode with Networking.  If they are still poor, then Comcast has work to do.  If your wired speed increases to the correct range, however, download and run TCPOptimizer.  Make sure to save your original TCP/IP settings first, in case things go sideways.

I still cannot access the XB7's GUI while it's in bridge mode.  My password (which is correctly input) is consistently denied.  I hope Comcast fixes that issue.  But, at least I am getting gigabit speed on the wired side.

Highlighted
Contributor

I would be more than willing to upgrade to a wifi 6 capable third party router to optimize my 5 Ghz speeds through my home if I had assurances that the XB7 bridge mode functionality would not compromise the new device.
Anecdotal reports seem to be quite ominous on the matter.
All in all, I think it's sad that Comcast supports a forum like this where the "blind are (essentially) leading the blind" without any helpful intervention from genuine Comcast employee experts.
But that should not be surprising in that during all my XB7 complaint interactions with Comcast agents and a few supervisors, not a single one has outright admitted to the salient issues that will hopefully be addressed in future XB7 firmware updates.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for that app info. I'm waiting for a tech at 3pm, its 2:50 and raining like crazy. Last night about 11pm both wired desktops showed 930 or so down and 41 up. S10+ showed 400 to 500. This morning both desktops 660 to 750 down and 4 to 7 to 1 on the cell wifi. It's squirley on the xb6 at best. I'm very disappointed as I've been doing this since last Friday. Saw an xfinity bucket truck on my street at 730 and again about 2:30 heading the other way. I don't want to do that reset the modem, I want someone to see it dead . The xb7 at least was lasting 2 days when I put the xb6 replacement on. And I tried that was a very trying problem. Finally got an American tech who saw it didn't activate completely and poof, everything was great. For 1 night.
Highlighted
Contributor

I would like the wifi6 but its range is too sad as well as it's wifi 2.4 and 5 - as I have tested. It did work the 2nd day and night on all fire sticks and chromecasts. On the s10+ the wifi6 was very fast too, but go into the front yard some 50 feet and it all went back to plain Jane wifi. My AT&T 4glte clicks at 130 in Southaven- until I leave my yard. Guess I have a close tower. But going back to the xb6 replacement has been a 3 day horror too, I replied in another post of that. Waiting on a tech to call now. 3 to 5 and its 3 now. Their cs just do not know the modems. Everythibg has been locked into that terrible xfi instead of just going into 10.0.0.1. I tried naming 2.4 and 5 with different names- didn't see much difference other than I KNEW if I was getting 5ghz because I used that ID. I'm not too sure this modem knows its switching like I want it to!
Highlighted
Contributor

I'll just ramble about my service call Friday, 8/21. Tech arrived at 4:30 and I was text about his arrival. That is good. Darryl, I believe he said he was, was very good at listening and doing something to check the problem. I told him of my tests, of them showing no outages "at my address". But as I hunted I got an outage report showing my location and the outage 1.5 miles west with 51-500 affected. That was on 8/14 - and again on 8/20. He had his contact run a test and they pointed to an error at my box in the yard. WHY didn't those other "tests" show that?! We went to the box and connected his monitor and red lines covered it with errors. The mystical THEY TECHS could see this and said it was from where the other 2 outages - that didn't exist in my testing techs - BUT ,, it's friday night, only 1 person, and most likely wouldn't be fixed until Monday. But someone saw it. NOW, I have nothing to show it happened. No ticket, no proof, the mystical THEY TECHS and Darryl are gone. My speedtest shows on a desktop to ethernet, 4 feet from the modem, 550 and 606 down with 41 up. It showed 920 or so yesterday after a good activation. Good enough to run, not what I'm paying for. S10+ 1 foot behind the modem is 605 down and 41 up wifi on the xb6!!!! My other desktop testing to Memphis gives 951 down and 41 up. Both are on cat 6 directly into the xb6 ports. Can't complain about these testes at 7:41pm on 8/21. Similar to what I had last night, but woke to 5 or 10 then 1 in S10+ wifi, and very slow screens painting. Or ethernet testing at 550 or so. SOMETHING is working now. Tech Darryl was very good, he said call and tell Comcast to send me pods. I'm too worn out for their fight. Billing me 39.99 for the tech to check their bad lines too, I'll hope to get that dropped. That's it, SEEMS to be working fine at this moment, fire sticks seem to be doing good.  One thing, my directv genie (54 I think) connects but tests just HD, not HD 1080 or 4k, and it did a week ago before I tried the XB7. Thanks for others input. Hope I rambled about something you've seen or questioned. 

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Same issue as you.
Installed an xb7 tonight.
Replaced an xb6.

Wifi speeds are slower across the board.
I get a bit better distance on one end of the house.
A bit worse on the other.

It has to be a work in progress.
Its pretty new so I figure firmware updates will improve it.

Not gonna go back to xb7 unless i start having major issues.

Im maxing at 600mps on my iphone 11 pro.
But as soon as I installed xb7, i got 821. I was pumped. Then the xb7 rebooted 7 times. I had to unplug & replug and it finally stayed online.

Pretty disappointed based on that marketing.
Really should be illegal to market like that.

And we need better communication.
Let us know more about the xb7 and its firmware updates.
Highlighted
Contributor

Good hearing from you about this. I got xfinity out again Monday, 8/24. Matter of fact tech but he checked at the xb7 feed, at the house connect and at the box in the ground. He said it was all clean and for the 1st time in 9 days it seemed to be as the xb7 did stay up. You say your iPhone taps 800+. I'm betting thats right beside the modem. I find it dies 50% just walking into the hall. I get a max of 600 on samsung s10+. Drops to 300 in the hall and further into the bedroom. 250 to 300 downstairs, and just walk out the front door - almost under the window where the modem is i am 175/150. And I can get that off at&t 4g in the same spot. I find the xb7 way less powerful wifi wise. My xb6 that I was swapping and checking gave a red light saturday and flat died. I never could get it back up, so tried the xb7 and it works. BUT, I FIND IN MY TESTING- and its been haunting me since I started this upgrade. The xb7 doing its band swapping, 2.4 or 5 for the better signal is dog tired if it really works at all. So I separated the ssid - 2.4 has its name and 5 has its. Next, I changed the channels for each from automatic to manual and picked my channels. 2.4 is on channel 1 and 5 is on channel 149. Poof, instant better. I have 4 amazon firesticks. 3 chromecast and they work. Ethernet to 2 desktops are 850 to 930, flat can't goose another bit byte mega nothing else out. That wifi 6 is marketing garbage. If you can't see the modem, you don't get that speed. High freq line of sight, same for the 5g hype. Now there are 2 speeds for that, home through walls is sooo slow, or arena big building line of sight for faster. Back to xb7. It has 4 ports, it doesn't swap between 2.4 and 5 - AS I TEST IT- as fast as marketing says, it's range for wifi is noticeably weaker than xb6, i changed from same name ssid to separate, and picked my channel - and thats how I've managed to keep it running since Sunday, being Wednesday now. Right now, in my front yard about 20 feet from the bedroom window so 30 feet from modem with lap siding not brick I speedtest 186 down 31 up on s10+ and my ha cha 6 by the wifi icon. Swapping modems and testing wore me down, I plan to return the xb6 today. Hope this helps.
Highlighted
Contributor

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-launches-internet-device-multi-gigabit-speeds-w...

(Someone should be held responsible for this possible disinformation release that catalyzed folks like me to replace a functioning XB6 for a device that was clearly touted as a superior solution for in home wifi performance.)
Highlighted
Contributor

Oldmanriver1 - absolutely! Everyone I manage to talk to is polite and understands my frustration. AFTER I CAN GET PAST THAT HORRIBLE I SEE NO PROBLEMS WITH YOUR MODEM , ARE YOU READY FOR ME TO REBOOT IT, THE TECH WILL HAVE THIS INFORMATION READY AFTER THE REBOOT. Thats maddening. Next is that xFi process. I have gone back and forth xb6 to xb7 so much. But I still hold to my testing and numbers in a previous post. The xb7 has performed for me with less distance and stability than xb6. I get high wifi6 on my s10+ when I'm in the room with the xb7. If I'm in there I CAN USE THE DESKTOP and ethernet speeds. I get 4 ports in xb7, had 2 in xb6 and added a netgear for 5 ports. Slowed some but what does adt need? I've got the xb7 working, if I didn't have a handle on entering 10.0.0.1 and setting things I'd certainly be nuts/nuttier messing with xFi.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

I have heard this from multiple sources. Go back the XB6. 

I get 700 on my XB3 consistently. My plan is 600. I have held out switching to the XB7 and/or gig Internet until the XB7 is stable. 

Tek
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the input Tek-- after all the problems and a repairman out Monday, they found no problems. Of course they didn't. The problem is a weak modem/wifi and its auto switching channels - or failure to, and the lines bounce. Odd they didn't see anything this time but did last and just cleared it, per a call to CS. AND, I believe it was Wednesday or Thursday they dropped the circuit for some 6 hours for repairs. They posted it on my account page. Had a box to check for text updates, the text came in some 18 hours later. Since then the lines have been stable - guess they'll drop now I said that. I moved my modem, kept the xb7 as the xb6 got a red light and I couldn't beat the dead horse any more. I've been good for 4 days. If you can keep your xb6 while activating an xb7 and have time to call - give it a try. But for my experience I find that wifi6 is junk, unless you're in a room with the modem some 40 feet. If you can't see the modem, or are more than 1 wood wall away, theres only a weak signal- get a good carrier signal for your phone cuz that's all I find that works with the wifi6. The last agent I talked with said she saw my calls and I did 26 in the last 28 days.
Highlighted
Contributor

It has been almost 3 months now and the 5 Ghz wireless speeds/signal strength have not improved despite what appear to have been numerous firmware updates/tweaks.
On the positive side, our home wireless network has been quite reliable. 4K and HD app streaming has been without any negative incidents. And I do notice that the range on the 2.4 Ghz channel since day one has become more robust than previously enjoyed on the XB6 modem.
There are managers locally who, after great effort on my part, aided our neighborhood RF signal to the degree they were able.
Things could be a lot worse moving to the unknown of another ISP.
I am ready to give this disappointment thread a rest.

Highlighted
Contributor

To oldmanriver1 - i managed to settle down after the last tech visited and said nothing was wrong. Yeh, at my house but I said it was reported at a main area around me. any way - I set the names to the 2.4 and 5 to different names. Then I connect to that name and get my 5 instead of the modem deciding which to feed me. It is shorter distance no matter where I move the modem compared to the xb6. Wifi6 speed is good for about 45 feet. It sure doesn't seem to be worth the print - ITS WIFI6 AND IF IN THE SAME ROOM YOUR PHONE CAN REALLY GO FAST! like streaming music or Netflix or - what does my phone do needing that speed? Well good cuz ya lose it going into your yard! It's been working well enough for a few weeks here. Cabled to the modem speeds have been 720 to 920, wifi is 379mbps down and 39 up right now 2 rooms away from the gigabit plan and xb7.
To timmytommy - yep its frustrating getting transferred and testing. A rep said she saw i called like 26 times in 28 days - something like that and getting past that recording and reset the modem is maddening. Good luck in another service. AT&T with 25 mbps is the only alternative here. But I've been with Xfinity forever it seems and 25mbps just isn't internet.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Here is a solution. If you have a Internet Plan below 700Mbps then call customer service and demand they send you a XB3 modem. This is is the previous generation. It is bullet proof and the 5GZ WI-FI is awesome!  I am on a 600Mbps plan and the it pulls 700 consistently and the maxiumum upload. I work in IT and I can tell you this XB3 is about as good as your are going to find. Mine is made by Arris. 

The Wi-Fi range is great! I have a propane tank monitor in my back yard under a lid for the tank and it grabs a Wi-Fi signal from this. My house has a basement, a 1st floor, and a 2nd floor. The modem is in the center of the first floor. I have full signal throughout the house and I have a decent sized home. 

Tek
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

I had an xb3 for years. It’s nowhere near as good as the xb6.

You should get the xb6
Highlighted
Contributor

There was a bit of progress yesterday when the ability to measure the speed to the XB7 modem reappeared as a "new" feature on the xFi app.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@oldmanriver1 wrote:
There was a bit of progress yesterday when the ability to measure the speed to the XB7 modem reappeared as a "new" feature on the xFi app.

Since I am a Windows user, I really like the app which seems to be more accurate.  It does not use a browser.

https://www.speedtest.net/apps/windows

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Thats been there I think

Always recommend Speedtest over xfinitys own speedtests
Highlighted
Contributor

I use that third party speedtest regularly. But to the best of my knowledge it only measures speed to a given device.
That is significantly different than the recently restored ability to measure whether your modem is consistantly receiving the proper speed tier that you have elected.
Unfortunately none of the subsequent firmware updates seem to have improved the relatively deficient 5 Ghz connection speeds (compared to the XB6) beyond the primary room where the XB7 is positioned.
There was some debate earlier whether the earlier XB7 firmware programming had the ability to maintain a stable gigabit connection from Comcast to the modem.
Highlighted
Expert

They brought back the gateway speed test function through the app?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

No i dont see it anywhere in there

Or the my account app

Thought it was in one of them
Highlighted
Contributor

Maybe these screen captures will help.
Screenshot_20200925-115312_xFi.jpg
Screenshot_20200925-115257_xFi.jpg
Screenshot_20200925-115341_xFi.jpg
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Ah yeah there it is.
Under connect.
Scroll all the way down past connected devices.

iOS version is slightly different.

Here’s what it looks like

https://imgur.com/gallery/KY9lEaJ

I have gig service & get 240 down on that
Iphone 11 pro
Xb7
Wifi 6
Right next to router

Today on speedtest app i got 915/17
But that varies across whatever server i pick

Also i see you have a newer firmware version on the xb7

I have
CGM4331COM_4.4p7s2_PROD_sey
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the pics oldmanriver1. I wasn't aware of any changes or ability to check to the modem. Techs out checked 1100 into the modem, 2 windows 10 pc cat6 ethernet can get 875 to 940mbps as a norm. S10+ on wifi6 - I assume - is cut in half. I just got 413 down and 40 up on s10+ downstairs with xb7 upstairs- seems normal. But I agree the 5ghz is notably weaker and had to move the xb7 more central to the house and a repeater I have in a room window - I had to put a box under it so it could receive from the xb7. But its working now to its best. I find the battery life in my s10+ drops noticeably with its wifi on so at home I turn it off and use AT&T 4Glte. Good comments from others too. It gets me when I drop service and look under my account for outages it says all is good no trouble found. But look up the map of outages it shows me green and the same spot, a building by the expressway 1.5 miles from me, that I've gone to and verified there, it will show red and 1-50 or 1-500 customer down. I'll be down, they say no you aren't. But for now things are what they are, good thread..
Highlighted
Expert

@adammusic22

What you did was a different test. That just tests to your device and not the gateway itself.

Highlighted
Contributor

Correct, I said I didn't know of the test to the modem, and I showed what the tech got to the modem. I haven't tried the xfi test or wherever it is. It shows at best, I have never got a megabit out of the modem, hardwired, to 2 capable windows 10 desktops. And that wifi is cut in half to my fastest device, the only one capable of wifi6, that I suggest is a marketing ploy available to few devices. Meaning that it will be lower on all other devices such as a chromecast or Amazon firestick. And pointed out the 5ghz is weaker so a chromecast or firestick might default to the 2.4 rather than 5ghz since the 5ghz is weaker..
Highlighted
Contributor

I go to Connect, then more, then xfinity speed test and it only allows for the speed to a device. I don't find a test to gateway. Certainly would be interesting to see though. As I read my last reply it seemed a bit pointed and certainly wasn't meant to be. Guess I fell into the mood of like talking to the recorded message when calling comcast. I couldn't find what others say can test to gateway, I get these results, and techs come out and say thats pretty good. Thanks for all the input though, I'll see if I can find that gateway test - maybe I missed an xfi update..