Community Forum

XB7 and xfi Pod compatibility

schopra24
New Poster

XB7 and xfi Pod compatibility

just got off the phone with a Xfinity technician, since I couldn't connect the newly bought xfi pods to the XB7 modem. They told be there are compatibility issues between XB7 and the pods. Anyone else having the same problem? I was told to downgrade to XB6, but I have had problems with that modem and it doesn't have ethernet ports to support my needs.
nzl8dc
Frequent Visitor

Re: XB7 and xfi Pod compatibility

i got an xb7 2 weeks ago and my pods are working OK ...  i had to restart the router a couple times to get them connected but other than that it seems fine so far...  

kahnfewzd
Regular Contributor

Re: XB7 and xfi Pod compatibility

I am getting a new XB7 and see in the forums people going from XB6 with pods to XB7 are having issues even though they are supposed to be compatible.

I did a search and found that newer version of the pods exist.

Here is the URL I found.  Put spaces it to deactive hyperlink.

https: // www . theverge . com /2020/10/1/21496291/comcast-xfi-pod-second-generation-new-500-mbps

Article title: Comcast updates its xFi Pod mesh Wi-Fi extenders with faster speeds and fewer pods

On the Xfinity pod order page there is a blurb that pods are on back order (as of today).

https:// www . xfinity . com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod

Maybe this will fix people's pod issues by using the "newer" version.  I am going to see if my pods work first, but have a feeling with my luck mine will not.

Rep I spoke to said I could take my current pods to xfinity store to get them replaced.  He said there should be n cost, but we will see if that is true if I need to cross that bridge 🙂

mhollenb
Frequent Visitor

Re: XB7 and xfi Pod 2nd gen compatibility

We just had this same issue - we had internet issues with the XB6 had upgraded to an XB7 (had 3 existing 1st gen pods - but the speed on those are capped at a throughput of 200 Mbps max).  

We decided to order 2 - 2nd gen pods since those can get a higher throughput of up to 500 Mbps which came this week (I'm an employee by the way but still have to pay retail for the pods).  Spent 3 days trying to activate and diagnose and today was bumped up to Tier 3 support to be told either we could downgrade the XB7 to an XB6 for the 2nd gen pods to work; or return the 2nd gen pods and keep the XB7.

Hope this helps other folks in the same predicament and our engineers can get the 7 / 2nd gen pods to be compatible

kahnfewzd
Regular Contributor

Re: XB7 and xfi Pod 2nd gen compatibility

OP 11-22-2020 10:15 PM: 
So just installed my new modem.  Pods have been going off\onlne since.  I have the OG pods still.  One pod has refused to connect.  We will see how things go overnight ...  my wifi is faster, but I think I am now connecting to the modem itself.  I suposedly may not need the pods anymore.  My home has some weird interference that sqaushes wifi signals.  I have always needed additional access points in my home.  I guess if the pods keep acting up.  I can unplug them all and see how things go.