Community Forum

XB7 - Offline Devices and Port Forwarding

robnm
Regular Visitor

XB7 - Offline Devices and Port Forwarding

Recently I upgraded my home’s Comcast Gateway  to one of the newest models available in the state of New Mexico, it is a XB7, model number CGM4331COM. It has been working well for TV and Internet and phone calls, but it is still a very frustrating experience when it comes to port management.

I have a number of IP-based security cameras that I need to view “remotely” [when I am not in the presence of my home network]. This ability requires that I port-forward the IP addresses of these cameras within the gateway.

The cameras are working fine when I am at home and they are using either a wireless or wired network connection. However, my gateway lists these cameras as “Offline Devices” despite the fact that they are working perfectly, except for remote viewing. Devices that the gateway recognizes as Offline Devices cannot be added to the list of forwarded ports.

I have restarted the gateway. I have told the gateway to “forget the devices”, and then reinstalled  the devices. Neither worked (on multiple occasions) to get the gateway to recognize the cameras as Online Devices.

I need someone at Tech Support to tell me the “magic steps” to make the gateway “recognize” an Offline Device and transition it to an Online Device, so that I can open the ports for “remote viewing”.

iHateXfi
New Poster

Re: XB7 - Offline Devices and Port Forwarding

I’ve been having the same issue for a while. Any luck with your situation?
GPSman
New Poster

No known changes to resolve this problem. Comcast tech support appears to be clueless as to answering this problem.

ec111124
New Poster

I have the same problem. Even though my wireless devices are working fine, the gateway says they are offline. My problem is that shared pc's don't show up on the other network pc's. The one solution that works is to restart the Gateway using Xfinity's network app. Everything immediately shows up as online and on all other network pc's. Unfortunately, it only lasts for a few days at a time and I have to restart the Gateway again. The Comcast techs I've dealt with have been clueless about the cause.

ComcastMartinD
Official Employee

Hello. My apologies you are experincing this issue with the Gateway appearing offline. We would be happy to look into this for you. Would you kindly send me your full name along with your account number in a direct message and we can take a look at things for you. Thank you in advance !

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
robnm
Regular Visitor

Thanks for responding. Recently I used the Xfinity app on my iPhone, and the IP cameras previously show as “Not-Connected” off-line devices were now listed as “Connected”. So, forwarding their ports was simple. Haven’t run across a situation yet where a camera was on-line but shown as “not-connected”. So for now, all is good - but I would still like to know how to manually transition a working but “not-connected” device to connected status.