Rtd2's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

XB7 - LAN Connection to/through Ethernet Ports on XB7 Dropping

So this is a tad frustrating. 

Just upgraded my years old XB6 to an XB7. I'm a week into using the new XB7 and it's been a challenging little bugger to say the least. 

With this post, I'm making a make a list ditch attempt to resolve the issue.  

Setup - Please remember I had an XB6 and all was well before the Xb7 upgrade. I have two switches connected to two GigE ports on the XB7 (as I did on the XB6). I have a newish 2019 MacBook connected directly to the 3rd port. The 2.5Gbps port on the XB7 is vacant. Hanging off of the 2 switches I have normal things like NAS, HUE, Alarm, Security Cam's, etc. A total of 57 devices of which 18 are physically connected via Ethernet.  

Behavior - The XB7 LAN connections that both transit (switch) through the XB7 and route outbound are randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. Some take minutes to recover, some never recover without an XB7 power off restart.  

Example - I was on a zoom call, via the MacBook, directly connected to the XB7. It dropped. I Could not ping the gateway or google (8.8.8.8) nor could I ping LAN connected devices. If I didn't have link lights , I would have thought that the cable was physically pulled out of the Mac or XB7.

If I disconnected the LAN cable between the Mac and the XB7 Ethernet Port, wireless would take over, and boom... I was back up. Wireless is stable (and has remained that way). Plug it back in, link comes up, connection drops - can't ping anything. 

I hard reboot the XB7 and MacBook, and all is well. I can ping. A soft XFi app restart doesn't seem to work.  

In one instance, while running a recurring ping to the GW (10.0.0.1) , NAS, and Google (8.8.8.8) in 3 terminal windows, I went into the XFi app and unpaused our Apple TV (wireless device) to let my kids watch it. As soon as I clicked Unpause, all my ping sessions stopped connecting from ther MacBook which was physcially connected directly to the XB7.  I have not been able to recreate this behavior though. And the cause and effect might be random, and this finding only anecdotal. 

I'm getting a ton of email alerts from my NAS that it was disconnected from the internet (Synology). It's happening at random times of the day - some in the middle of the night.  I've never gotten these errors before. I get 4 or 5 a day now. These are only sent when the NAS can't connect to the internet for a prolonged period of time. A router reboot lasting 10 minutes would not result in this error. 

---------------------

Connection to XXXX.synology.me has been lost since 2020-06-23 04:10:03 -07:00

Dear user,

Connection to XXXX.synology.me has been lost since 2020-06-23 04:10:03 -07:00. Please check the network connection of your DiskStation, and make sure its DDNS service is enabled.

Sincerely,
Synology Account

This is an automated email, please do not reply directly to this email.
If you need further assistance, please contact us via Synology Account.

---------------------

While wireless connections seems to be strong on the XB7, and is NOT impacted by this issue, devices that directly connected via Ethernet are getting disconnected and dropping.  I'm not showing any port /speed  / duplex errors and no port errors on either switch. Layer 1/2 seems(?) intact, everything else (3 and above) fails. 

As I sit here now, my ethernet connection from my MacBook directly to the XB7 is down hard although it's physically connected.  

In addition, wireless LAN connections from a wirelessly connected Laptop to a Wired LAN connected NAS are laggy. RTT is high for ICMP (over 1000ms) when sitting right next to the XB7 with a laptop.  

I've tried pretty much everything in the book to stabilize the ports including -

- Hard coding duplex on the switch ports

- Assigning a static IP to the MacBook (switches already have static)

- Removing all devices from all Profiles in XFi

- Removing all Scheduled network "pauses" and any other rich functionality that would down or pause connections

- Swapping Ethernet Cables for devices that connect to XB7

- Switching around XB7 Ports and the devices that connect to/through it 

IT SHOULD BE NOTED. I disconnected all devices and booted everyone off of WIFI so the only device that remained connected to the XB7 was the Macbook via ethernet. With no other devices connected, I was still disconnected from the port  (or the device stopped routing for my IP). 

TL;DR - Wired Connections to and through the XB7 are dropping LAN-to-LAN, LAN-to-WAN, and WAN-to-LAN . Can't replicate what causes the problem, however,  problem is significant enough for me to spend 20 minutes crafting this message to try and resolve. Looking for ideas to troubleshoot / resolve.  

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having similar issues.  Comcast support is so frustrating.  I'm about ready to give up and buy a new router.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I'm experiencing very similar issues on my ethernet connections.  No issues on WiFi but dropped ethernet connections every ~5 minutes and 5 seconds.  I've reset to factory defaults three times now and each time set up the XB7 as a new device so no previous settings were interfering.  Interestingly, my XB7 was on bridged on mode with an external router connected to it.  In this configuration, I had zero ethernet issues.  I can't go back to this configuration since I gave my router to my parents. 

Here is a screenshot of system logs from a Linux and Windows box.  I'll call Xfinity sometime this week since this is becoming very problematic.

[Jul12 16:46] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +4.655764] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[Jul12 16:51] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +4.759788] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[Jul12 16:56] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +4.711732] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[Jul12 17:01] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +5.191740] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[Jul12 17:06] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +5.311731] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[Jul12 17:11] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +5.623844] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[Jul12 17:16] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +4.855732] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[Jul12 17:21] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +5.615684] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[Jul12 17:26] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ +4.615750] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 5.30.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-12 at 5.33.03 PM.png

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Tried just now, plugging the Mac directly into gateway, bypassing the netgear switch, and now it works great. So maybe isolated the issue to to the switch. Had my printer also connected to the switch. So now gotta figure out how to connect up the network printer,...

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Just upgraded my plan to 200MB and added the XFi complete package to get the unlimited data plan, which came with the XB7 gateway.

I have a Mac Pro mid 2010 running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 connected to a GB switch which is connected to an Ethernet port on the gateway. Previous setup had no issues connecting to websites. If I disable ipv4, I can get to ipv6 websites, but if I enable ipv4 I cannot connect to websites.

If I unplug the Ethernet cable, and connect to WiFi, everything works fine.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

TBH - I had totally forgotten about the switch stuffed behind the printer. Unplugged everything. Reconnected, and powered it back on again. Things working normally now. Hopefully it will be stable from here?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

We had a similar issue at our house. We were using an unmanaged switch and a asus router. Both the router and any windows devices connected via ethernet to our modem would drop internet connection. The devices would still recognise comcast but would not reach out to anything outside of the local network. After going through a couple of different switches I don't think the switch is the issue and it has something to do with the modem itself. Anything on the Xfinity wifi works and now that I have set a static IP for the router it no longer drops connection either which further leads me to believe this is a modem issue.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Did you get any resolution to this?  I'm on my second XB7 with similar problems.  I've got my laptop directly wired to the XB7 and the connection drops all the time.  Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it switches to wifi, sometimes all connections drop until I reset my network adapters.  This happened to both a Dell laptop and another HP one.  Very frustrating.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@allengo 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. 7 month old dead now being closed.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

@Anon126539 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.  Year old dead thread now being re-closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here