Community Forum

Wireless router troubleshooting/recommendation

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Wireless router troubleshooting/recommendation

I just found out that my WiFi router kill my Gigabit Intenet connection. If I bypass the router, I get 949 Mbps on speed test. BTW, thanks to whomever made the troubleshooting video. I tried to bypass the router before for testing but did not know I needed to reboot the modem when switching devices so that did not work. Spend all morning chatting with Xfinity tech support but they did not know or say anything about that. 

With the router inline (wired connection, CAT 7 cables), I get only 350 Mpbs. My router is Netgear R7900. Its Ethenet ports are Gigabit so theoretically, I should be getting close to what I have on direct connection to modem. I expect some overhead but not losing close to third of the bandwidth. 

 

Was anybody successfull getting Gigabit speeds with this or similar router. Are any configuration adjustments on the router that would need to be made? I updated router firmware yesterday to the latest version. Finally, any recommendations on what WiFi router would get me Gigabit speeds on hardwired connections? I would rather get my router working but I am not opposed to replacing it.

 

Thank you

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Wireless router troubleshooting/recommendation

That's an excellent router that should easily be able to deliver the gig speed tier !

 

Are there any QOS settings enabled in it ? If so, disable them and see.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Wireless router troubleshooting/recommendation

Dynamic QoS is not enabled and I did not see any other QoS related settings. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Wireless router troubleshooting/recommendation

I think it may have been the Traffic Meter that was slowing things down. I disabled it (read a suggestion on Netgear forums) but hitting apply did not fix the speed issue. I also set link speed manually instead letting router determine it. Again, somebody in Netgear forums recommended it, even with QoS disables. I don’t think setting the link speed did anything - the setting did not even take, but the router rebooted when I clicked “Apply” and when it came back up, I got 940Mbps. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Thanks