Community Forum

Wireless Connectivity Sporadic and Just Drops

Highlighted
New Poster

Wireless Connectivity Sporadic and Just Drops

I have an Xfinity Xfi modem/router (XB6-T) that will get speeds in excess of 100 KbPS and then all of a sudden sporadically drop.  I have the Extreme plan (supposed to be speeds up to 300 KBPS) so the bandwidth shouldnt be a bottleneck.  Additionally, I have bought 6 pods and have placed them throughout my house in hopes of strengthening the connection but the intermittent drops continue to occur.

Any help/suggestions?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Wireless Connectivity Sporadic and Just Drops

Do you mean 100 and 300 Mbps ? 

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the XB6 with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes,

It is for a wifi connection.  And I have not had any issues with hard wired connections.

Highlighted
New Poster

And it is MBPS.  My mistake...  Just random drops with the wifi.

Highlighted
Expert

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/improve-your-wireless-home-network

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods. Good luck !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for the articles.  To be clear, the range is not the issue and, as I mentioned in the original post, I already have 6 pods.  the issue is the intermittent nature of the service where it just randomly cuts out without any forseeable reason.  

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@chuck48174 wrote:

Thanks for the articles.  To be clear, the range is not the issue and, as I mentioned in the original post, I already have 6 pods.  the issue is the intermittent nature of the service where it just randomly cuts out without any forseeable reason.  

Does the wifi signal cut out while standing next to a pod?  If so, you may need to re-locate the pods for a better connection to the Gateway.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Expert

@chuck48174 wrote:

Well it must be a WiFi issue if a wired connection works fine. A general connectivity issue with the Comcast coax system would affect both. 

For the Halibut, try getting the XB6 swapped out for another. Good luck !

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes, it does.  You can be standing within a few feet of the pod and it still will drop out.  I know this because one of the seating areas is right next to a pod...