Community Forum

Wifi connected without internet ?

Kpasserello
New Poster

Wifi connected without internet ?

So, I set up my wifi today and the wifi connection the tech had me sign into is saying I'm connected but not with internet. When I connect to that the green dot shows up in my xfi app as a connected device. But theres no internet service. However, if i click on another xfinitywifi name under my wifi choices I can connect after I was redirected to log in to xfinity page. But it doesn't look like it is a secure line, and in my xfi app I'm no longer a green dot saying my device is connected. Did that make any sense? Gosh I hope so, because I'm even confused! Please help explain.
andrew990
New Poster

Re: Wifi connected without internet ?

I had a similar issue. Xfinity Prepaid support sent me to Arris Support. I ended up trying the second solution on page 46 of the modem User Guide of "Change your security mode to “WEP” https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/User_Guide/TG862G-CT-User-Guide and I finally got both my older Samsung phone and newly delivered work Chromebook which were only connecting to WiFi to also access the internet. Samsung was at the point of recommending I send the phone in for hardware service; I am glad I found this solution.

It seems the Xfinity Prepaid modem defaults to WPAWPA2-PSK Security Mode which earlier generation devices or Chromebooks connect to the WiFi but do not pick up the internet.

EG
Expert

Re: Wifi connected without internet ?

6 month old dead thread now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!