Community Forum

WiFi Networks Name Changed

Highlighted
New Poster

WiFi Networks Name Changed

Why did my Wifi network names change? My wifi networks stopped being visible and after troubleshooting and restarting I realized that both of my wifi network names changed from what they were, along with the network key.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: WiFi Networks Name Changed

You should reset your router.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG96e3CJ0Og&feature=youtu.be

There's a reset button and it will go back to the original settings. These are printed on the side or back of the router.

(Power cycling will clear some stuff out of memory or something like that, but won't return the device to the original settings.)

You can do this yourself, or you can call Xfinity and they will help you do this.

There are two passwords you need to manage. One is the password for your SSID, if you use WiFi.

The other is the password for managing the router itself. Your router will have a network address, which might be printed on the side or back. If it's not on the router you can usually find it by searching the model number online, or you can call your ISP (Xfinity).

Try to use a device that can connect to your router by Ethernet. (You need power but you don't necessarily need an internet connection to do this part: you're only talking to the router.) Open a private browsing window and go to that address.

Change the password for the router login (and the username, if this option is available) and keep it someplace safe.

Then look over the settings and see if they're right for you. Generally I find that the firewall is set too low. Many things will have a recommendation in the interface itself, and other things you can look up online.

Log out and close the private browsing window when you're done.

If this keeps happening, you might want to look into buying a router with a security solution included, or a network management box to use with your current router (assuming the two devices are compatible).

Also check that any devices you use on your network have all the updates they can get.

Highlighted
New Poster

Highlighted
New Poster

Missed the Point xFinitiy Changed the WIFI Settings on the router changing the SSID and PW. I just had this occur now I have to change it back or change 40 devices in my house..

GRRRRR They should not change the config!!

Highlighted
Expert

@narader 

Please create your own new topic here on this board detailing your issue. Dead thread from last year now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!