Community Forum

Wi-Fi calling cuts in and out - brand new P2CT modem

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Wi-Fi calling cuts in and out - brand new P2CT modem

I have a brand new P2CT modem and the network connection for internet usage is excellent.  

 

The Wi-Fi on my Apple iPhone7 cuts in and out.  As I'm in an area with choppy cell service, it means I can't sustain a call.  I'm still in the process of establishing if there is any kind of pattern of these dropouts (e.g. time of day, frequency, duration, etc.).  One peculiar thing I noticed, is if the Wi-Fi calling drops during a call and the call gradually deteriorates - once it officially drops and says the call dropped, the Wi-Fi calling on the phone comes back on. 

 

Also:

- I recently upgraded from a DPC3941-TMCV214-K9 modem, which had the same problems.  

- I spoke with Apple, and they have no known issues of iPhones ever toggling the Wi-Fi calling off and on automatically.

- Internet speed via Speedtest.net: Ping 24ms, download 4.37 Mbps and Upload is 4.09 Mbps.  

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Wi-Fi calling cuts in and out - brand new P2CT modem

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Intermittent internet and WiFi dropout issues both with DPC3941T and P2CT

I am having intermittent internet and WiFi dropout issues both with DPC3941T and P2CT

  • Issue is observed with both iPhone WiFi calling and internet connection on laptop
  • First I had DPC3941T and now I have P2CT > problem is observed with each
  • I now have three new Pods > this did not fix the problem
  • Xfinity support promised upgrading from DPC3941T to P2CT would fix the problem > it did not
  • Xfinity support promised adding three new pods would fix the problem > it did not
  • Multiple resets and restarts of the modem have been performed, none of which have had any impact on the issue
  • WiFi calling on phone drops about 90% of calls, almost all within 15 minutes and many at beginning of call.  This can be observed on the phone as the WiFi symbol changes from 'WiFi' to 'LTE' during the call.  The change also occurs at arbitrary times while the phone is not being used for a call.
  • WiFi on internet drops out periodically, but not in sync with when the WiFi calling drops out.  About 10% of the drop outs, the network entirely disappears and reappears about 5-10 minutes later.  The other 90% it drops, I merely have to click the 'reconnect' on the network and it reconnects, despite having 'automatically connect' checked.  

 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Wi-Fi calling cuts in and out - brand new P2CT modem

That is a good question, but would be difficult to establish.  The reason is the dropouts are unpredictable and can sometimes be spaced out 4 to 5 hours.  Other times they occur as frequently as 2 to 3 times in an hour.