Community Forum

Why is my home network a static IP?

Highlighted
New Poster

Why is my home network a static IP?

I bought a normal plan of 1gb on my home and my IP address is static I tried to restart router as people say that’s how you get another ip but nothing is working? I’ve already read that all normal users have a dynamic ip as static is unnecessary unless your a business. Can anyone help me I just want my home IP to be dynamic.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Why does My homework has a static ip

Why is my home network a static IP*
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Why does My homework has a static ip

@Thanasis1 wrote:
Why is my home network a static IP*

How do you know it is truly Static from Comcast?  Are you being billed for a Static IP?  Generally, DHCP servers assign IP addresses to MAC ID's with a lease time for a duration.  Rebooting doesn't necessarily get a new IP address if your MAC ID doesn't change.  Does your router have a setting to change/spoof your MAC ID?  You could use that to cause the WAN IP to change.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Why is my home network a static IP?

It is what is known as being *sticky* dynamic, meaning that it can change, but it is durable. It's normal. 

If you have a router that has a MAC address cloning feature, you can clone a different MAC address in to it. This will force their DHCP server to assign a new / different public IP address to your connection. This is really the only sure way for an end user to change it. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!