Community Forum

Why do I pay for 100Mbps and get 80Mbps?

Highlighted
New Poster

Why do I pay for 100Mbps and get 80Mbps?

Nothing else is connected to the network right now and speed test reads at 80Mbps, instead of the 100Mbps I pay for.  There is no wi-fi used. Only Ethernet cables.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Why do I pay for 100Mbps and get 80Mbps?

Tested without router in circuit and got 100Mbps. Will buy a newer router and see if it fixes the speed issue.

Highlighted
Expert

Does your computer's ethernet network adapter support 10/100/1000 (gigabit) speeds ? If not 80 is what is to be expected due to the normal overhead.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@pleasenoname wrote:

Nothing else is connected to the network right now and speed test reads at 80Mbps, instead of the 100Mbps I pay for.  There is no wi-fi used. Only Ethernet cables.

I think if you read the description, you might find it says 'UP TO' 100 Mbps, nothing about 'guaranteed'.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you for representing the comcast lawyer's opinion. However I am actually for solving this problem. Pehaps this is similar to the BTU rating on portable air conditioners. They were so inefficient that a new equivalency BTU rating was established to more accurately represent the comparable normal wall mounted/central  air conditioner BTU rating. 

Highlighted
Expert

My question ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Asking Intel.

Highlighted
New Poster
Highlighted
New Poster

10/100/1000 (gigabit)  is listed for it's ethernet network adapter.

Highlighted
Expert

Disregard. I did not see this post of yours, sorry;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Why-do-I-pay-for-100Mbps-and-get-80Mbps/m-p/3361592/...

Highlighted
New Poster

Newer router didn't fix speed issue.