Community Forum

Which modem to buy?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Which modem to buy?

My service gets 200mbps and I would like to buy my own modem and get rid of their modem monthly fee. Which modem do you recommend getting? I don’t have voice service either
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Which modem to buy?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

i just got my own modem. motorola MG7540 with built in AC1600 wifi router. but a word of caution. once you buy your own router every slow speed event will be blamed on your modem. they told me that model modem cant handle the speed. wrong...it has a thru put of 868Mbps. you will never see that speed from comcast. i pay for 300Mbps and i am lucky if i get 150-160Mbps.  GOOD LUCK. p.s. the rent for comcast modem is 168.00 a yeay the modem i got was 150.00 outright 

Highlighted
Expert

@pmr1952 wrote:

it has a thru put of 868Mbps. 

FWIW, that's a manufacturer claim under laboratory conditions, not real world. They rate it only for 375.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

what your telling me is that the Mbps speed that i pay for is only in a lab and not the real world? never got 300Mbps with the comcast modem. the last tech that came out said it was my microsoft surface pro. if you belive that i have a bridge to sell you in brooklyn. for your information i was getting 310-324 when comcast turned up the bandwith due to covid-19 but now back to you get what you get. never get real answers just fluff and convoluted logic.

Highlighted
Expert

Not at all. . You didn't get my comment...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!