Community Forum

Upgrading to gig speed with a different non Xfinity cable modem

Highlighted
New Poster

Upgrading to gig speed with a different non Xfinity cable modem

SB8200 modem, internet works fine with my original Arris modem. I upgrade online, received a self install kit, which consisted of the Xfinity Flex device and nothing about activation of modem.

I followed all the instructions from Xfinity online to install. Ethernet from modem to iMac.

I get error not connected to Internet. So apparently it needs to me activated by Xfinity.  Automated system is useless, circular and repeating everything I already did and never has prompt to get to a person. What the heck?

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Upgrading to gig speed with a different non Xfinity cable modem

Hello Miltonpyron. Thank you for visiting and posting on our Forum. Apologies for our delay in getting to your post. I can assist with the activation of your internet service. Please send me a private message and include your full name so I can access your equipment.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Upgrading to gig speed with a different non Xfinity cable modem

@Miltonpyron wrote:

SB8200 modem, internet works fine with my original Arris modem. I upgrade online, received a self install kit, which consisted of the Xfinity Flex device and nothing about activation of modem.

I followed all the instructions from Xfinity online to install. Ethernet from modem to iMac.

I get error not connected to Internet. So apparently it needs to me activated by Xfinity.  Automated system is useless, circular and repeating everything I already did and never has prompt to get to a person. What the heck?

I realize this post is a bit dated, but you can't use both the ethernet ports on the SB8200. Only one is active at a time. You need a router to connect more than one device to your modem. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!