Community Forum

Upgraded with own equipment: next steps?

Highlighted
New Poster

Upgraded with own equipment: next steps?

Hello all. Since everyone is working from home these days, we upgraded to the Gig service after having a much lower internet speed package. Got the self-install kit in the mail. Ok. Cool. 

We have our own modem that is already set up for Xfinity internet already - do we need to do anything else to make sure we are getting the faster speed? I would normally call Comcast about something like this but I can't even find their number on here any longer....

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Upgraded with own equipment: next steps?

What is the exact make and model number of your own modem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

We're using a Surfboard 6183 - which, I'm seeing.... only rates to 686 mbs. 
So - after we purchase a new modem and get it set up, there's nothing Comcast needs to do on their end, correct? 

Highlighted
Expert

Yep. You'll need a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem / device. It will need to be activated for service by them and the correct configuration / bootfile for gig speed will need to be pushed to it.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you, EG!

Highlighted
Expert

Quite welcome !