Community Forum

Upgraded to new, faster Internet plan but speeds got worse; how to connect Mac directly to modem?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Upgraded to new, faster Internet plan but speeds got worse; how to connect Mac directly to modem?

I had an old, 300 Mbps plan. I have a very fast computer connected by ethernet cable to a top of the line Netgear router, and was getting 300 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload for several years, very reliably. Today I decided to improve the speed, and called Comcast. They moved me to a 1Gbps plan, but warned that my current modem can only go to 700 (later they said 600) Mbps, and until the new modem arrived, I could only get that. Fine, I said, make it 600 Mbps until then.  They sent some files to the cablemodem, rebooted it, and now I'm *down* to 200 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload.  It happened exactly when they did whatever they did, but of course they're saying it must be the router...   So, they want me to connect my computer directly to the modem to rule that out. Fine; I've got a Mac laptop, which I connected to the jack on the cablemodem directly, and the little green LED was going, but the Mac wasn't being handed an IP address. Maybe because the modem was in bridge mode (since normally the Netgear does the routing)? It's weird because the Netgear gets an IP fine, why doesn't the laptop?   Does anyone know how to connect a computer directly to the modem to test its speed? I'm quite sure the router has nothing to do with it, but I need to do the test. Meanwhile, I've spent 3 hours on the phone with them today (40 minutes of which was trying to navigate the phone system to get me to a person, each time they disconnect and I have to call back) only to have *worse* internet speeds.  Eventually the new modem will come and we'll see if that helps, but any ideas meantime?  Even to just get me back to my 300/11 speed I had before I called them.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Upgraded to new, faster Internet plan but speeds got worse; how to connect Mac directly to modem

Just a guess but some moden/router combinations that have more the one ethernet port use only one port when in bridge mode and shut the other ports off, in my ARRIS gateway only por1 #1 is live in bridge mode.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Upgraded to new, faster Internet plan but speeds got worse; how to connect Mac directly to modem

Yep I tried plugging it into the first port (same one in which the router was plugged in) - no luck. But I'm now seeing (from the pinned video on gigabit) that it's necessary to reboot the modem every time you plug in a new device, so I just did that. Bingo, it worked. Running the speed test, I see excatly what I was seeing before - high 200's Mbps download, 4 Mbps upload. So it's got nothing to do with my router.

I've also managed to log in to the modem - is there anything from the interface I can glean, about what speed it thinks it should be providing? The Xfinity web page is telling me my plan is "up to 1GB", but can I see what the modem is set to?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

if you can get to the logs they may show if they  sent the corect config file whatever that looks like, maybe somene that has Gig service can jump in and give you some help or if you luck is really good a Comcast  enployee will see your post and help.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I see the dropdown menu of System logs and Event logs, but when I hit the "show logs" button, nothing happens - where are these logs to be seen?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, perhaps you may be able to find the user manual for your modem on the Comcast site, or look around inside the modem to see if they have settings to turn on logs.