dlherrin's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 24th, 2020 4:00 AM

Closed

Trying to understand reduction of wired ethernet speed

I recently upgraded my interent from 100 Mbps to 600 Mbps and joyfully noted that my computer directly wired to my Wi-Fi router's ethernet port was getting somewhere in the range of 500-600 Mbps of speed. So far so good.

Thinking that my router did not have enough ethernet expansion ports I bought a TP-Link Gigabit switch. However, in setting it up I made the mistake of installing it directly behind the cable modem instead of behind the router. After I realized my mistake and restarted things a couple of times I was back up and running, but my IP address had changed from 98.221.*.* to 73.194.*.* and my wired ethernet speed now seems to be capped at 100 Mbps. Can anyone explain what happened? Have I been relegated some reduced service subnet?

(I own my own Motorola MB7621 cable modem and TP-Link Archer C7 Wi-Fi router.)

Thanks!

Dave

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

There is no difference. An IP address is an IP address. It's random. It's whatever their DHCP has available in its pool of addresses at the time of assignment.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I solved my problem by switching to a different ethernet cable between my computer and the router.  I do not know why this was an issue, because the cable I replaced was the same one that recorded higher speeds earlier. Perhaps the cable was not making proper contact on all pins? Anyway, it works fine now. Would still like to know what is the difference between Comcast's 98.221.*.* and 73.194.*.* batches of IP addresses.

Dave

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here