Community Forum

Throttling? How to confirm if Fair Use policy being applied?

Frequent Visitor

Throttling? How to confirm if Fair Use policy being applied?

We pay for 250 megabits, haven't had any issues for about a year.  My main PC took a noise dive and I ended up having to rebuild my steam library.  We also pay fr unlimited internet but last month we moved just over 4 terabytes of data (usually in the 1.5-2TB range).  About mid way through that process our internet took a noise dive to 80megabits.  It's held there consistently now for over 30 days.  I've called in and been told my modem signals appear fine, they have tried to reset it numerous times and keep telling me it's "my equipment".  that being said I have plugged directly into the model, tested from the router, tested from laptops, phones, etc.  I have no issue moving data around at near gigabit speed on my hardwire lines or moving over 400megabits over the wireless AC so I struggle that this has anything to do with our internal equipment.  

When I asked the service reps on the phone point blank "is it possible I have been flagged under the fair use policy for excessive usage and if so does that expire at some point?" and the rep(s) say they have no knowledge or indication of such a thing...  

I'm at my wits end because nobody on the phone can give me a straight answer other than offering to charge me for a sight visit.  I'm hoping someone one here (amir maybe?) can look at my accound confirm if indeed the fair access policy is applied which is *fine* I just want to know if/when/how long since I am paying nearly $70 a month extra for unlimited internet and higher speeds.  

@ComcastAmir  - Hoping you can look into this for me or someone else, wasn't sure how to send you a direct messge (when I click your name there is no option, just a profile).  

Frequent Visitor

Re: Throttling? How to confirm if Fair Use policy being applied?

Here's the model signal info .  Initially tried to upload it directly but its not attaching correctly for some reason, here is a shared copy on google photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y92hCeMj8PXXEugs6

Expert

I can't read the specs on the photograph as it's quite blurry on my end.

I have a few concerns, though. You're at the 250 Mbps download tier, but you have an 8x4 modem - your speed is bottlenecking at the modem, plus there was a recent across the board speed increase on all tiers below gigabit so you are very likely at the 275Mbps speed tier now. 

I suggest you change it to one with at least 16 download channels, preferably 24. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@jcwest21 wrote: ... is it possible I have been flagged under the fair use policy for excessive usage ... 

That's not a thing. In the past, Comcast's congestion management system might throttle high-volume traffic if it was overloading the system, but they say that was discontinued in 2018. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/network-management-information.

The upstream levels you posted are uncomfortably high. What is your modem model number, and can you post the error log?

Expert

@jcwest21 wrote:

Here's the model signal info .  Initially tried to upload it directly but its not attaching correctly for some reason, here is a shared copy on google photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y92hCeMj8PXXEugs6

FWIW, This may not be the root cause of the problem but it should be addressed anyway as it may be an issue waiting to happen.

The upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. The downstream power is a bit on the weak side as well. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct. Good luck !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

No splitters in the house.  It's new construction (2019) home so everything is new/contemporary with the interior wiring with no additional splitters added.  Also I don't want it to be lost that we have had consistent service for over a year.  No dropped connection or loss of internet, just the reduced speed.  I appreciate everyone's input.

I do see that this modem is a little on the "old side" and although still rated for our current service it's a pretty low cost to jump up to a 16x4 modem.  So I'll go ahead and get one of those sent out today, register it and see how we do.  If I'm still seeing the 80megabit threadhold with the new modem it may simply be time to have Comcast come out.  

Frequent Visitor

Low Speeds - Replaced Modem - Briefly had speed, now back to low speed

I previously posted a thread about beleiving I was under some form of network management due to reduced speed.  Some users suggested a modern modem with more channels and based on the age of the old one I figured either way it could not hurt.  When the modem was first added I was able to routinely test my connection at over 300mbps (pay for 275).  It tested fine at the router, at the desktop, laptop, and mobile devices.  As of this morning I am now back to testing *exactly* where I was before, 90megabits (ish) per second.  I am struggling with any other explanation on why a new modem would work as intended for a brief period but than would suddenly revert back to the old speeds that appear to be artificially throtled.  This is a brand new SB6183 and again I want to emphasize for about 2-3 hours (before we went to bed) everything was fine.  When I woke up this morning though it was right back to capping at 90megabits per second.  If anyone has any input here I welcome it, I'm really running out of steam on this issue because nobody at Comcast support can tell me anything otehr than "everything looks fine on our end" which if thats the case why did I briefly get my speed back (perhaps before the modem was fully provisioned) and now Im back to having a ceiling of 90megs?

Also now when I open the xfinity app on my phone I'm told there scheduled maintenance/outage for 10/25 at mightnight.  Why can't anyone at Comcast tell me or explain if this scheduled maintenance has anything to do with my connection issues?  I'm getting 1/3rd of my rated speed, on a brand new modem, that they say otherwise appears completely fine, theirs scheduled maintenance they can't explain but I'm supposed to just accept that whatever the issue is, it must be within my home?  

@ComcastCares  @ComcastAmir @ComcastJK   @Comcast_Support 

Can anyone who isn't just reading me lines out of pre-recorded script and just reset my modem over and over and over again actually reply to me and look into this issue?  

Frequent Visitor

Re: Low Speeds - Replaced Modem - Briefly had speed, now back to low speed

Not sure why my photo uploads never seem to wkr but here is the stats page hosted on google photos. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WCuQK4yPUN4bud7N9

log 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NpcZvdCFjKdipwdG9

Speed Test Log Showing Period right after activating everything was fine, a few hours later not so much

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zLFPQUR6R2jkn3kd7

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Low Speeds - Replaced Modem - Briefly had speed, now back to low speed

Are you sure there’s no splitters? Your downstream levels were low with your last modem and now they’re worse. Maintenance doesn’t give details on what’s being worked until after the fact, it may or not be related to what you have going on. Pictures need to be approved by admin.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for input everyone.  Comcast ended up rolling a truck, after showing two modems having the same issue and ruling everything else out... I'm happy that I have functional service now but it felt like a game of whack a mole.  The agent removed my wall plate and set a new jack (no change), tried moving the modem to multiple rooms in the house (no change), tried moving the modem directly to my low volt panel and connecting it *directly* to the line from the tap, slight change.  The biggest take away was when comcast first wired the house a year ago they put in a non-amplified splitter to feed the house.  The tech removed that splitter (which again was Comcast provided and wired) and instead just directly connected the tap line (or whatever its called) to my office jack line bridging them directly disconnecting the rest of the house.  We don't have TV so this is not an issue for us.

Finally after replacing the wall plate jack, disconnecting the comcast provided splitter, and briding the office directly to the tap was the tech able to consistently get my rated speed.  He also disconected and rethreaded the line at the grey box (outside) and actually confirmed the older modem was getting better power/less ingress/noise so we both agreed to return the new modem and keep the old modem (still qualified for my rated speed). 

By the end of it all the tech was a little frustrated (almost three hours of trouble shooting) and couldn't decidedly identify what the point of failure was or why it worked just fine until recently.  I proposed that the poorly configured comcast provided splitter was providing so little power that the modem was barely at the edge of satisfactory and only recently perhaps slipped over the edge causing the dramatic service drop.  He said he couldn't confirm or rule that out other than to say after we removed the splitter that comcast installed, service improved dramatically....

as a customer it's just more than a bit agitating that Customer Service had me on a wild goose chase and went so far as to tell me to buy a new modem and when they still didn't fix it told me to buy a new router.  Basically comcast was innocent until proven guilty and wasted a tremendous amount of my time, which I guess shouldn't surprise me in the slightest.   Now Im just waiting hoping that with all of these "adjustments" I can go back to enjoying my service...  

Expert

Thanks for posting back ! Hope that things hold up for you ! Good luck !