Community Forum

TG862G slow internet speed

Highlighted
New Poster

TG862G slow internet speed

Hello,   I have a newer Dell computer and I am connected by an Ethernet cable to an ARRIS TG862G modem.   For some time my internet speed has fallen below 30 MPS even though my account is for speeds up to 300.   I enabled the bridge on the modem and my speed went up to 275 although I lose my wifi.    Any suggestion?  

Highlighted
Expert

Re: TG862G slow internet speed

The 862 (XB2) is a dinosaur. Get it swapped out for a newer model XB3 or an XB6 gateway.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-compare

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@smi1981 wrote: ... TG862G modem ... my account is for speeds up to 300 ...

Besides being a dinosaur, Comcast only rates the TG862 for plan speeds up to 285 Mbps. See https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-tg862g-421.

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for your reply.   I realize it is an old modem but my plan only give me up to 300 mbps.  

I would be happy with something in the high 200 range.  In fact I can get that from my modem in bridge mode.      After contact ARRIS they said that my Upstream bonded channel power level is low at 44dBmV    They said it should be between 45 and 51.    I dont mind getting a new modem I just dont want to end up with the same problem.   Also do I need a 3.1 or will a 3.0 do?   

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for your reply.   I realize it is an old modem but my plan only give me up to 300 mbps.  

I would be happy with something in the high 200 range.  In fact I can get that from my modem in bridge mode.      After contact ARRIS they said that my Upstream bonded channel power level is low at 44dBmV    They said it should be between 45 and 51.    I dont mind getting a new modem I just dont want to end up with the same problem.   Also do I need a 3.1 or will a 3.0 do?   

@EG wrote:

The 862 (XB2) is a dinosaur. Get it swapped out for a newer model XB3 or an XB6 gateway.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

I’d still update the gateway, to see if there’s a Wi-Fi change. You’ve proved the modem is ok hardwired. All that’s left to prove if it’s the gateway’s Wi-Fi or your laptop’s Wi-Fi. Have you tested any other Wi-Fi devices during troubleshooting that you might have left out of your original post? Don’t worry about what Arris said, if 1 dB made a difference, you’d experience the same speed issue in bridge mode

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@smi1981 wrote:

@EG wrote:

All the Xfinity devices cost the same on my plan.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!