Community Forum

Speed Issues with Arris 8200 Modem

sethkilbourn
New Poster

Speed Issues with Arris 8200 Modem

I recently upgraded to Xfinity Gigabit Internet.  I purchased an Arris 8200 modem and TP Link AC1750 Router to get the new speed tier.  I had a MOCA network set up in my house that worked very well.  The new service was activated remotely but Comcast sent a service tech a week or so later who replaced the MOCA filter outside my home despite my asking him to leave the filter alone.  Since then, my internet speeds have been inconsistent.  (Note: the speed tests and all other tests referrenced here are wired connections).  To resove and troubleshoot the problem I took out the MOCA adapters, spoke to Comcast 5 or 6 times, and a technician came out to check the internal wiring. All he did was replace an old splitter outside which the first tech should have done.  After speaking with Arris and TP Link technical support, it appears that the modem's upstream power levels are low the downstream SNR levels are high compared to manufacturer recommendations and the Troubleshooting Tips in this Community Forum.  (The tips are fantastic btw and far more helpful than the hours I have spent on the phone with Comcast).  I replaced the coax cables and one splitter inside my house and got same resluts. I then tested the modem connected directly to the Comcast line outside.  That test showed Downstream power levels from 17.1 - 18.5 dBmV and SNR levels of 42.2 and abve. The Upstream power was 24 - 27 dBmV.  Today, connected to the coax outlet inside my house,  the Downstream power is in the normal range, SNR still in the 40's and the Upstream power is a little higher,m ranging from 31 to 35 across the four channels.  Any suggestion--including whether and how to get Comcast to fix any outside line issues--would be appreciated.