Community Forum

So called gig speed

Regular Visitor

So called gig speed

Just had newly installed Gigabit Internet yesterday. The same day I got the Arris Cable Modem SAB 8200  just for it since my old one didn't support the docsis 3.1 standard. After it was all freshly installed, I was only getting speeds between the 200s and barely into the 300s on my wifi. Tech said that he had called the issue in to Xfinity and some other techs would be working on the issue on Xfinity's end. He also said that it should take between 1 - 2 hours for the issue to be fixed, but that another tech would come to my house before the end of the day to  double check the line outside my house and confirm I'm getting the speed I should have. Well obviously it's now way past the end of yesterday and today is a brand new day for me to wake up to just to experience the same ole bad speeds and service! Hurray...<Edited> -.- Anyways, now I'm having to wait until tomorrow...the next day until someone even comes out here to check the problem the tech left behind in his rush to get to the next job. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here just a few inches from my Arris SAB 8200 modem and directly connected to it with a Cat6 Ethernet cable while only getting higher speeds between 550 Mbps and barely into the 600 Mbps range. 

I know that wifi speeds are on average signficantly lower than Ethernet speeds on any tier, including Gigabit Internet, but c'mon...barely the 300 Mbps range? I could understand if it was like between 400 Mbps and 500 something Mbps on my wifi connection but that's just simply not the case. And what's even more alarming is the speed I get when I'm even connected just a few inches away directly into the cable mode...550 or 600 Mbps is more of the kind of speed I should be experincing on Wifi shouldn't it?

I have had two techs checking everything and Comcast tech center has told me that issue is the Node as there is a moderate noise causing loss.  I have not been told when and if Comcast plans to fix the issue as I am paying for giga speed and I am getting a 500 MBS speed.  I doubut if this is lawful.

I would be happy and content if my wifi speed was just around between 400 Mbps and 500 Mbps, especially if my Ethernet speed was to be around the 900 Mbps range. Even if my Ethernet speed was just a 800 Mbps range...I'd be jumping for joy! Am I really asking for too much here?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: So called gig speed

Comcast can’t control your Wi-Fi(because your using your own equipment and there’s too many variables), only the speeds hard wired coming out of your modem. When you get the proper speeds coming out of the modem, then troubleshoot your Wi-Fi, not the other way around

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you.  Maybe I was not cleared.  I am not getting a gig speed when I am connected to the modem with hard wire, CAT6.  My modem is a Comcast approved modem, Arris SB 8200, which is a DOCSIS 3.1 and compatible for multi Gig speed.  Comcast technician, even tried latest Xfinity Modem instead of mine and maximum speed achieved, hard wired directly to modem using CAT6, was 550 MBS, no where near 1 Gig speed that is advertised by Comcast.

I am not sure what and or where cable nodes are but again, according to Comcast Tech center, problem is not within my house nor my equipments and problem is with moderate noise at the node that feeds the neighborhood.

its is not right nor fair and potentially illegal for Comcast to conduct false advertisement and charge customers for services that can not clearly provide.

Diamond Problem Solver

Yeah, that’s not what your original post stated, you either mixed things up or left information out. Whoever the “tech center” is, you’re better off to keep working with local techs if they’re blaming a node. Have another tech out, if they say they have to have another tech out (likely maintenance), ask for a ticket number. A tech can’t get maintenance out without a ticket number.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thank you!

Sorry about the confusion.  Yes, I have had two tickets and nothing came out of those.  Tech was supposed to be here yesterday, again.  But before tech arriving, I received a call from Comcast Technical Center, Elmhurst, IL, I guess it's ok since I reside in Chicago.  Anyhow, this person was telling me that issues are related to the Node and have nothing to do with my house and or my equipment.  He stated that its a waste of time for another technician to come and repeat the same tasks that have been done by previous techs and come to the same conclusions.  As I may have mentioned previously, he said that Comcast Ground Crew is the one that takes care of issues with Nodes and they have to exchange and rectify the issue as apparently affecting our neighborhood.  He promised, he has noted in my account and the issue has been transmitted to the right department to be resolved and that a supervisor will follow up with me the same day, yesterday and he will follow up with me by this Thursday.  Unfortunately, no supervisor called me yesterday and I am not sure if this person will follow up with me tomorrow!  I don't know who to believe anymore!

Regular Visitor

would you please let me know why you have moved this answer? Thank you.

Diamond Problem Solver

Somebody else commented that wasn’t helpful and had nothing to do with what you have going on. Those are generally removed