quick071171's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, April 9th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Slow connection speeds

I recently changed my internet plan from 200 meg to 1000 meg because of frequent connection lagging. After upgrading and doing speedtests I was not getting anything above 40 meg for download. I have my own modem and was told my Docsis 3.0 modem MB7621 only supports up to 845 meg downloads. So i purchased a MB8600 modem and installed it this week. I spent a couple hours on the phone with Comcast support since i am not getting anything higer than 200 meg when i do a speedtest. I am seeing 34 meg upload. they finally told me i needed to reach out to Motorola since it is my own equipment. when i look at my modem connections this is what i see

Capture.PNG

I noticed these events showed up in my event log last nightevent.PNG

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they need to be approved by a Forum Admin. That could take some time. In the interim, you could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Please post the upstream channel numbers as well.

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Upstream channels

incase my image doesnt show like the downstream and event log

https://imgur.com/a/j26dGce

upstream.PNG

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

The upstream power too high  and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

EG,

I changed my connection going to the modem. I am averaging around 200 meg download and 40 meg upload

Here are the new and original images from my modem

https://imgur.com/a/y7dvVqO

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here