Community Forum

Slow Internet speeds on 1 Gig plan

Highlighted
New Poster

Slow Internet speeds on 1 Gig plan

So I've recently upgraded to the 1 gig plan on Comcast. They gave me their new(er) modem to use. I also upgraded my router to the Netgear Nighthawk AC3200. Everything I try  won't get me the speeds I want. With a wired connection I still only get around 250mbps. Any suggestions? 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Slow Internet speeds on 1 Gig plan

Due to the pandemic, Comcast is having a surge in residential areas with commerical accounts. 
Most of the issues aren't necessary speed related but delay. (Jitter rates are high).
The easiest thing to do would be running a Trace Route test, go to the command prompt or powershell (or terminal if on a mac) and type the following command:
Tracert 8.8.8.8

The ms results is what we're interested in and if the 3rd line or lower is constantly 100ms or above, you have a conjestion problem which is Comcast's issue.  

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Slow Internet speeds on 1 Gig plan

@Todd3 wrote:

The ms results is what we're interested in and if the 3rd line or lower is constantly 100ms or above, you have a conjestion problem which is Comcast's issue.  

FWIW, if it's the first hop, and one is using a router, it's one's own home network / router / combo gateway device.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!