Community Forum

Slow Internet After Lightening Strike

Frequent Visitor

Slow Internet After Lightening Strike

Lightening struck my antenna and traveled down to my TVs and all components attached.  They died a quick death to include my Xfinity Surboard Modem and Router.  I have since replaced the modem and router, twice.  My internet is still slow in accordance with Speedtest.net results and Xfinity's own speed test; <6 Mbps at times.  Steaming Video results in pixelation and or continued reloading of the video.  Prior to the lightening strike, I did not have an issue with slow service.  I have tried to contact Xfinity support but so far I have not received callbacks I scheduled.  My question is:  Could the incoming Comcast cable have been damaged as a result of the lightening strike and could that be the cause of the slow speeds?  

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Slow Internet After Lightening Strike

It sure can, take a look at the ends of the cable or a splitter if they’re black or look scorched. Not just at the equipment but splitter/ground block too anywhere the cable runs

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response.  I just didn't think it was my equipment.  I'll take a look at it tomorrow in the light.  Hopefully, that is the problem.  

Diamond Problem Solver

Keep in mind Lightning may have also travelled to the tap and you may need a tech out

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you again for your response.  I just don't seem to be able to contact their support.  I call, schedule a call from them; nothing.  Is there another phone number I can call other than what is listed on their site?  I can't get through to speak to an actual person.  I tried their texting route...but it just walks you through different scenarios.  It's seemingly an art to be able to speak with an actual comcast technical representative.  

Official Employee

Hi there, jlkd01. Thank you for posting! Sorry to hear about your internet trouble. How did checking the splitters and connections go? If you're in need of a technician, I would be more than happy to schedule that for you! Let me know.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hello Comcast Morgan,

I only have the one connection coming into the house.  I do not see any damage to the cables are where they are connected.  My internet is very slow.  I just did a speedtest.net and I was 2.54 download.  My upload was almost as fast as 2.34.  There has to be some issue with the incoming line.  I've replaced modems and routers and I changed all the connections.  Nothing helps.  I would like to schedule a tech.  

Official Employee

I saw you sent me a private message, I will respond shortly!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I give up.   Comcast Morgan advised that he finally was able to schedule a tech to come out yesterday, Thursday, between 1-3 pm.  I was not surprised one bit when no one showed up.  

Frequent Visitor

I drove to the nearest Xfinity store.  I waited about 90 minutes and I was able to talk to an actual person and he scheduled a tech for today; Friday.  I explained to the Xfinity associate the many efforts I made to try to reach any actual Xfinity support personnel.  I explained while waiting for a tech on the phone, the line would go dead after 45 minutes or so of waiting.  I would schedule call backs and I never received a call from Xfinity.   He just kind of smiled and said that was not an unusal complaint and it didn't surprise him at all.  So the tech came out and he found scorched wires inside a wall plate as a result of the lightening strike.  He pulled some wires through the wall in the basement and worked his magic.  Took about 1. 5 hours but he got me up and running.  Checked Speedtest.net and my modem stats.  All was good.  So the wires had been fried and although I had changed out all the wires I could...it wasn't enough and I needed a real tech to come out and check all the wires.  CC Andrew was correct in his reponse. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Sorry it was such a hassle to get it fixed.