Community Forum

Re: Is Comcast throttling my service because I am using my own equipment?

Highlighted
New Poster

I don’t believe that to be true, much like the original poster I am also in the field and have experienced the same issue. When using Comcast rented equipment you receive the proper speeds, but when purchasing your own modem your speed gets throttled. I purchased three new modems, two docsis 3.1 and one docsis 3.0 modem with telephony and none of the modems reaches the speed I am supposed to be provisioned. I have a 400Mbps plan and none of the modems will give me over 200Mbps. The docsis 3.1 modems are rated for speeds over 2Gbps so that is not an issue as I’m not on a gig plan. They should have been more than sufficient for the speed I have but I could never get more than 120Mbps connected directly to the modems bypassing my router completely. I actually get better speeds with the docsis 3.0 modem which is a Motorola MT7711. The other two modems I used were Netgear C1150V and Arris T25 which are both new docsis 3.1 modems with voice.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

There’s a difference between throttling and what you have. There’s an underlying reason why, you just have to find it. Have you had a tech out? Post your modem log and signal levels, lots of experts here can point you in the right direction. Some are using the same equipment that you’ve tried that works fine

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!