Community Forum

Re: High Packet Loss / High Ping Issues

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

Apologies for losing track of your thread @JHC3.

Even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, The packet loss, latency, and jitter indicate that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Do you think you can do the same for me? I am having the same exact problem and am getting no help from anyone on the phone or even the tech who came out to look over it. Thank you.

Highlighted
Expert

Start here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Internet-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/3310447#M316652

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yup I already looked through that and tried everything and I’m still having the same problems. I was wondering if you could escalate it because nobody with the basic equipment or knowledge knows what to do. Thanks!
Highlighted
Expert

O/k I need to see the signal status figures, and the error log entries (if you can get them) here first before I can escalate anything.

What do the modem's signal stats look like ?  Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this a WiFi connection ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

O/k I need to see the signal status figures, and the error log entries (if you can get them) here first before I can escalate anything.

What do the modem's signal stats look like ?  Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this a WiFi connection ?

Ok I got all that stuff. I am on ethernet plugged into the router, and my brother who has the same problem is on ethernet plugged into the modem/gateway. This imgur link should show the model of the modem and the upstream and downstream. https://imgur.com/a/b2RksHT 

Thank you!

Highlighted
Expert

The signal stats at that snapshot in time were o/k. Can you find any modem RF error log entries somewhere there in the U.I. pages ? If so, please also post them. And what about the question: "Is this a WiFi connection" ?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

The signal stats at that snapshot in time were o/k. Can you find any modem RF error log entries somewhere there in the U.I. pages ? If so, please also post them. And what about the question: "Is this a WiFi connection" ?

There were not any error log entries on the modem. When I look through the logs I can not find anything that looks out of place or like it is a problem. I am hardwired into the modem not on the wifi. This has been an ongoing issue and I have talked to numerous people but they are no help. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I also want to add that I have been having troubles with my ethernet ports on the modem and the router only putting out 100mb and having an orange light instead of up to 1gb. I also can run speed test and it shows I have 200mb so that is confusing to me. For the past few years I have not had any problems with not getting the 200mb like normal. The ports on the router and modem are all orange and I am 100% sure it is not the ethernet cables. This problem started when the high latency and ping problem started and the tech who came to my house just said he did not know how to help with it.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Anyone have any advice? There are techs coming out today to bury a new line from the house to the box outside I might be able to get them to try and fix it or do something if I know what to ask and talk to them about. Thanks
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone found a solution for this? Calling Comcast is useless because all I get is someone rebooting my modem which does not solve the problem at all. The week is starting and I need to be able to use my internet without disconnecting or lagging out while I work from home. Any information or advice helps.

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm having the same issues with high jitter / packet loss. I followed all the instructions here but was unable to resolve.

Unfortunately, I think documenting the issue well and having a tech come out is probably your best shot at having it fixed if you can rule our your own equipment / coaxial cabling being at fault.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sorry to bother you @EG I was just wondering if you could help me figure this out or if you could escalate it for me. I've tried everything and I can barely even use the internet at this point.

Highlighted
Expert

Escalated.

Highlighted
New Poster

Hello,

I noticed some packet loss as well on my home network. I tested directly from the modem and same issue. 

To make sure it was not my modem or line to the street, I connected to the xfinity wifi hotspot from next door and It has the same issues. It would appear its my neighborhood or maybe this is expected with such high demand for internet at this time. 

Thank you,

Frequent Visitor

Will someone be reaching out to me anytime soon? The internet is awful right now and when I call Comcast I can’t get past the bot. I’ve been having problems for over 2 weeks and nobody has been able to help me.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issues. Packet loss is crazy bad, has been for weeks. I've been getting the runaround. NOT HAPPY

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same thing for me I’ve talked to tons of people and nobody is able to help me...today I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told I’d receive a call in under 30 minutes. I never received a call
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yep, I was told twice this week they would call me back in 1-2 hours.

Good luck, I'll update here if I get anything resolved.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

In case these has not been considered & tried previously for these kinds of cases:  Diagnosis of packet loss is best done from top-down on the network, modular-wise, testing to disambiguate local-network packet-drops from packet-drops on the WAN.    So usually it is best to ignore the modem until verifying the higher layer protocols are not dropping the packets.    Also good to ensure there are no excessive packet drops on your residential network by constantly pinging your home router/gateway/hub with some app or CLI "ping 192.168.1.1 -s 999" and checking for packet drops with ^C and restarting the command, before & after crucial tests.    Btw, your home-router IP address isn't always 192.168.1.1.   It can be almost anything but usually isn't.   Sometimes its 192.168.0.1 .

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply bald, pinging the gateway and router shows no packet loss and  < 2ms of latency.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Below shows the packet loss when pinging "google.com"

https://imgur.com/MZF7QfD 

Highlighted
New Poster

Update. 

So far today I have not have had any issues. Packets are solid and ping is 18 to 30 ms. 

I will update later today after traffic has picked up. 

Highlighted
Expert

@RyBlaser wrote:
Will someone be reaching out to me anytime soon? The internet is awful right now and when I call Comcast I can’t get past the bot. I’ve been having problems for over 2 weeks and nobody has been able to help me.

I'm going to re-escalate this for you. Please sit tight as the reps seem to be swamped what with the pandemic going on.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Alright thank you! Hopefully I can get this figured out soon.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello RyBlaser, I am happy to look into your signals to what we can do about resolving your packet loss problem. Please send me a private message with your full name by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then click "Send a message" so that we can get started 🙂

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Hello,

Everyhting has looked good for a week. 0% packet loss. 

Not sure what changed but I am guessing comcast did some maintainance.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

So I still have not figured out this problem and Comcast can not see any problems form their side. Does anybody have an info that can help?

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi Ryan, I apologize for my delay in response. I don't want you to feel like your left in the dark with this issue, I am here to help and I assure you I will see this thing through to the end 🙂 Would you still like a new modem sent? If so I'll get one out to you right away, and I'll even waive the shipping fee for you. How does that sound? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I actually just bought a new modem that I’m going to set up today...let me try that first and then I’ll let you know
Highlighted
Official Employee

That sounds like a plan, let me know if you need any help activating the equipment or if you need anything else. Also this link will allow you to activate the equipment (https://comca.st/3efKhIo;

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just set up my new netgear modem and I have the exact same problem. I have the speeds I pay for but I have bad ping and latency...not sure what to do at this point.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for sharing RyBlaser. I've been considering purchasing my own modem to test. I was able to get someone on the phone that was mildly helpful a couple days ago. They said they would have a tech come check my lines as he noticed strong signal fluctuation during his tests....but couldn't tell me when. When I signed into the Xfinity My Account app today it said there was some planned maintenance scheduled for Tuesday 1:30AM-6:00AM in my area. I'm hoping that fixes the problem. Best of luck to you on you quest for a stable internet connection.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just check the stats on the new modem and it says that the downstream power is kind of high. All of them are above 8 and some are close to 11
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Still no luck on getting it fixed I’ve had 2 people out here in the past day. One tech moved the downstream down to 7 then like an hour later they are all up to 9-10 again. Now the other guy is telling me that everything looks good and there are just a lot of people on the networks. I don’t know what to do at this point.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have the exact problem too over a month now, I tried everything and customer service only restart the modem nothing more. I've netgear CM500

ping 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 with ~10% packet loss did it by connecting directly to the modem or over wifi no difference;

~10% during work day, and ~2% at night , so it looks like the load shows the problem. 

modem SNR, power numbers for downstream look fine and upstream power numbers look fine.

so internet speed is fine but latency and packet loss is a big thing I can't have any conference meeting and my voice always breaks up.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

a technicien came yesterday and couldn't do anything more than looking at the external wire and the wire to the modem; he said " I can't do more"!

Also I found that there is no packet loss at night or now (no body works from home time), so it looks like my neighborhood needs an upgrade from comcast and it is not only me.

here is a traceroute output around 4 pm (~10% packet loss time frame):

traceroute 8.8.8.8
traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.68.1 (192.168.68.1) 1.545 ms 2.983 ms 1.963 ms
2 96.120.103.153 (96.120.103.153) 20.315 ms 27.856 ms *
3 68.86.97.97 (68.86.97.97) 23.887 ms 281.368 ms 21.533 ms
4 69.139.160.245 (69.139.160.245) 48.753 ms 107.406 ms 198.715 ms
5 be-33650-cr01.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.93.165) 35.695 ms 33.989 ms 145.745 ms
6 be-10847-pe02.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.86.226) 91.960 ms 39.081 ms 32.905 ms
7 50.242.149.198 (50.242.149.198) 24.426 ms 186.522 ms 57.934 ms
8 * * *
9 dns.google (8.8.8.8) 320.788 ms 89.307 ms 36.142 ms

==========================

another traceroute after working hours (Sat 10:30 am), looks good to me and no packet loss during that time too.

traceroute 8.8.8.8
traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.68.1 (192.168.68.1) 1.945 ms 10.467 ms 8.426 ms
2 96.120.103.153 (96.120.103.153) 10.093 ms 12.130 ms 11.892 ms
3 68.86.97.97 (68.86.97.97) 9.607 ms 17.753 ms 10.469 ms
4 69.139.160.245 (69.139.160.245) 15.957 ms 36.796 ms 19.735 ms
5 be-33650-cr01.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.93.165) 87.025 ms 15.212 ms 11.881 ms
6 be-10847-pe02.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.86.226) 34.711 ms 13.423 ms 10.953 ms
7 50.242.149.198 (50.242.149.198) 13.334 ms 15.926 ms 42.674 ms
8 * * *
9 dns.google (8.8.8.8) 12.942 ms 13.887 ms 31.305 ms

====================

I hope someone from comcast understands what is going on and fix this problem!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

This thread only has 1300 views... Are you saying there is a problem?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I think there is problem in xfinity in certain areas, network is congested because many people working from home, this problem disappear on weekends and at night.

Highlighted
New Poster

I also have been having the exact same issues. I can't play any online games or watch any videos. It's quite awful. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have been experiencing the same issue. I have called comcast repeatedly and after hours of waiting for a call or scheduling a call, no one knew the answer at all and just suggested to restart the modem; however, that does not work at all. I am very unhappy with the service at hand, as no one seems to have an update on this issue or have fixed it for the past month. Has anyone have any update on how to fix this issue?