Community Forum

Re: A lot of disconnects on a regular basis

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have what seems like an _identical_ problem of _intermittent_ connection drops of internet, as described by @5th_pixel 

The connection drops happen about twice every 24 hours and never at the exact same time. I have caught the signal stats in the modem log page when the problem happens: the downstream power trends downward all the way down to -19 dB along with SNR reaching 0 starting from the "within spec" values otherwise. The connection then drops for a period of time. Then the downstream power and SNR comes back up to "within spec" values in a matter of 5 - 20 minutes of time. However, I obviously cannot live with the situation as I'm working from home.

I've run through all the checks in the troubleshooting sticky, removed all splitters to my cable modem (don't watch TV, so just the cable modem is connected). The stats and have had techs coming out to my house twice over the last few months. They checked internal signals and stats with their equipments and said everything is fine, because they checked the signals outside of the 5 - 20 min window when the problem happens. I can't possibly have them check it exactly when the problem happens - because the timing of the problem and their checking the system cannot be synchronized. I told them of the transient nature of the problem and they didn't have a clue. Hence here I'm for someone more knowledgeable to help.

It started happening only since January 2020, after having flawless connection for 3.5 years to this same apartment, and no changes in my set up. It also started happening right after a major outage in my area, when work was done on Comcast equipment/during during several hours of the outage.

Can anyone please help ? I'm willing to buy a filter or such on my own dime if this is a transient noise that can be fixed by a filter - based on inputs from a knowledgeable expert at Comcast. Having the techs come out won't help, because of the experience I already noted so far.

Highlighted
Expert

FWIW, the phone reps can see a 30 day prior connection history plot for your modem. Red flags should be being raised for the intermittent connectivity problems.

You could also request to be put on a 30 network / connection monitoring period.

Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

FWIW, the phone reps can see a 30 day prior connection history plot for your modem. Red flags should be being raised for the intermittent connectivity problems.

You could also request to be put on a 30 network / connection monitoring period.

Good luck !

Thanks @EG - is there a Comcast rep here who can be the right technical expert to resolve the problem ? Or at least guide me to the right technical expert at Comcast ? I have had an incredibly frustrating experience with the phone/chat reps, also on-site techs. Hence, I'm hopeful someone knowledgeable and experienced from here can help me... Thoughts ?

Highlighted
Expert

Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, will look forward to a Comcast rep's help from here!