Community Forum

Random Internet Slow Downs

Highlighted
New Poster

Random Internet Slow Downs

I have the Xfinity xFi Gateway (TG3482G) that is enabled in 'Gateway Mode' I have been experiencing issues with these modems ever since I swapped out my own personal modem for these xFi gateways. I have been experiencing random issues where my internet slows down to a crawl, where doing simple things like a speedtest barely loads the page, and doing regular pings to 'google.com' or just about any URL shows huge package loss and latency issues. I initially had reported this issue to a Comcast agent via chat support, their suggestion was my modem can be the problem and offered a replacement, which I have did but this still does not help.

The only way to resolve this issue is to restart the modem (not my router, I checked the logs on my router and everything seems to be running just fine). However, when I try to view the logs for my modem (under 10.0.0.1 and logged in) it is blank, and I have no idea why it isn't storing any kind of logs. I am running out of ideas on what the problem can be as I need a stable internet connection that doesn't randomly slow down requiring constant modem reboots to fix the issue. As mentioned, this was not an issue with I was using my own personal modem, and only became an issue once I started using the xFi Gateway. Otherwise, my home network has not changed at all so I am not sure if these xFi Gateway modems are the issue, or perhaps the line coming to my home suddenly became bad/noisy? Any help is appreciated!

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Random Internet Slow Downs

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the TG3482G with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Sorry for the late reply.

The problem is both via LAN and WiFi, however, I am not exactly sure why this would be relevant as the xFi gateway is currently set up in Bridge mode, as I have my own separate router setup instead. I have gone through the process of making sure it isn't my router as I have noticed when these issues occur, the xFi gateway is inaccessible unless I do a Restart via logging in through my Comcast account. I confirm this by going to '10.0.0.1' and it never loads until after I complete the reboot.

Highlighted
Expert

With this test, we are trying to isolate this from being either a WiFi-only problem or a problem with the general connection to the Comcast system which would of course affect both, see ? It's a good first step of troubleshooting before we proceed any further. So, your problem shows that it is coming from the connection to the Comcast system (the WAN).

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? 

Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!