acblue94's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

Friday, May 1st, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Question about setting up new XB7 router and using a single SSID...

1) I currently have 35 devices on my home network. I'm waitng to get the new XB7 router.  Does it work if I set up my new router with with the same SSID, password and encryption secruity, essentially copying the old routers settings to the new routers. I'm trying to avoid having to connect all 35 devices to the new router again. So all the devices should auto connect to the new router saving me alot of time.

On a seperate note...

2) I currently have two seperate SSID to reflect the 2.4 and 5 ghz. I was thinking of getting the xfi pods but I understand that I must change the dual SSID to one single SSID name for the pods to work. Is my assumption corrcet when I say that once this is done, all 35 devices need to set up to reconnect to the new SSID name? Bceasue I have a new SSID????

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@acblue94 wrote:

1) I currently have 35 devices on my home network. I'm waitng to get the new XB7 router.  Does it work if I set up my new router with with the same SSID, password and encryption secruity, essentially copying the old routers settings to the new routers. I'm trying to avoid having to connect all 35 devices to the new router again. So all the devices should auto connect to the new router saving me alot of time.

Assuming you have an xfi compatible gateway already, once you activate the XB7 with the Xfinity xFi App or over the Xfinity Activation site,  it'll ask you if you want to mainain your current network settings.

@acblue94 wrote:

On a seperate note...

2) I currently have two seperate SSID to reflect the 2.4 and 5 ghz. I was thinking of getting the xfi pods but I understand that I must change the dual SSID to one single SSID name for the pods to work. Is my assumption corrcet when I say that once this is done, all 35 devices need to set up to reconnect to the new SSID name? Bceasue I have a new SSID????

If you keep one of the  two SSID names, any device that connects to it will connect to it again. If you drop the name, then you'll have to run settings on the device to connect to the new name.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

4 years ago

Caution:

1. It will move over all of your setting EXCEPT any custom DHCP settings.

2. The DHCP Range settings will change to the default 10.0.0.2 thru 10.0.0.253

I always manually verify any new modem configuration with the one that I am replacing before placing it on my wired network. I ususally change my DHCP range to 10.0.0.65 thru 10.0.0.253.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

I would advice against it. Are you 100 percent sure that all your devices connect to the 5 WiFi network? I have some devices that connect to only 2.4 WiFi network like WeMo products or iDevices. My suggestion just use them separately. But it’s up to you to try it out. Let me know if you do I would like to know if it does work for you or not. Good luck
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here