Community Forum

Ping Spikes on Idle Hardwired Connection

puputata
Frequent Visitor

Ping Spikes on Idle Hardwired Connection

It seems like my street has always had a problem with internet but recently it's been really bad in games and even idle.

(Pingplotter graph while idle) https://gyazo.com/696aa520e0de514c8cbe60c2fe394e6f

While gaming, I'll spike to over 1000 ping on average every couple minutes and will often experience packet loss which makes the games unplayable.

My connection is hardwired with a CAT8 cable. I use an Arris SBG8300. Normally my speeds are 700mbps down and 16mbps up.

Some days, my internet will be okay and other days, it'll be awful for the whole day. Is there something I can do to figure out what's going on here?

EG
Expert

Re: Ping Spikes on Idle Hardwired Connection

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they already are, or they are close to being out of spec and intermittently they go completely of spec. Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
puputata
Frequent Visitor
EG
Expert

The stats are good. Are there any modem error log entries being shown ? If so, please also post them in their entirety.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
EG
Expert

Those are router component error log entries and they are unhelpful for troubleshooting this, sorry. The issue may be being caused by a capacity / traffic congestion problem on your local cable segment / node. If so, there is not much that you can do about it other than to complain persistantly.

puputata
Frequent Visitor

How exactly would I go about being annoying/persistent but also informative about my problem?

EG
Expert

You'll figure it out. Good luck !

puputata
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the help.

EG
Expert

My pleasure !

ComcastChe
Official Employee

Hi @puputata! Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Forum to share your experience. I can definitely understand how frustrating this can be, especially if you're right in the middle of a game. I had a chance to review the links you provided and agree with @EG. If the issue is caused by congestion on the network, there isn't much we can do. However, I would be happy to review your account to see if there is anything that we can help with. Can you send me a private message (click on my name, "ComcastChe," then click send a message)with your first and last name and the numbers associated with your address? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.