Phillips8's profile

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, April 23rd, 2020 2:00 PM

Closed

Periodically seeing 100% packet loss/intermittent timeouts

Hello all! Since Tuesday of this week I have been experiencing a bit of an issue with our internet. The speeds are fine. If I were to do a speed test, everything would look normal. intermittent lag spikes/packet loss is the issue we're having. Sure, I can load a web page just fine BUT streaming videos, chatting via zoom calls, and online video games have been a bust. These 200ms timeouts (see screenshot below) are causing issues. We have used xfinity for almost a year now. We've been satisfied with the service until now. Customer Support has pretty much told me they see nothing abnormal on their side and I even contacted Arris and went through troubleshooting with them. I even went out and purchased a new router. Has anyone experienced a graph like this? If so, what was the cause?

PingPlotter screenshot: https://gyazo.com/a5deb8eb6c18d6aa8f078c7785dedee6

Downstream & Upstream screenshot: https://gyazo.com/2ed15c9a554a5653608ca9782dbf319c

Make and model of router: Arris Surfboard SBG6950AC2

I can see these same results wireless AND wired.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will answer promptly. This is effecting at-home work and I need to get this fixed as soon as possible.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I went ahead and posted that info in my original post so others can see immediately upon looking at my post. Please let me know if you have any other questions! Thanks in advance.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

We do have a coax splitter, one to the router and one to our xfinity 'tv box'. Although it is needed, I think for this test alone I will try to find a single coax cable and see if the problem persists. If so, I'll replace the splitter. Thanks for the lead. I will update you on the results.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

The upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Also post a screenshot of your modem's signal stat figures. Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this a WiFi connection ?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it needs to be approved by a Forum Admin. That could take some time. In the interim, you could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to it here.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Ahh thanks for the info. I did not notice. I posted a gyazo.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Problem still persists. Stats are still about the same as before. I appreciate the suggestion!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here