Community Forum

Paying for 1000 Mbps down, getting ~350 Mbps down

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Paying for 1000 Mbps down, getting ~350 Mbps down

I've contacted Comcast support several times. On 9/2 I was told there was signal fluctuations occuring over the past 5 months since we got the service. We have been experiencing decreased speeds the whole time. After the Comcast support restarted my modem,  without even asking me if that was ok, the speed increased but after some time they degrade and go back to around 350 Mbps down. The customer service representative said they would send out a technician within 48 hours, texting me 30 minutes before they arrived. I was fine with this, but I did not receive a text and a technician did not come to my address. I was called today regarding the survey I filled out thinking it was the technician but my issue was still not resolved. They transferred me to technical support and this time they said they didn't see anything wrong with the signal and told me to contact Motorola (I own a MB8600 modem supported by Comcast). Motorola confirmed the modem is working fine. I told them about the Downstream and the Upstream Bonded Channels and Motorola said the signal Comcast was sending is not good. Here are the readings from my modem, along with the event log:

https://imgur.com/a/kT7zznR 

https://imgur.com/a/bN27jxC 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Paying for 1000 Mbps down, getting ~350 Mbps down

Any thoughts?

Here's some new errors from my modem's log today:

11:31:55
Wed Sep 9 2020
 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
 11:32:01
Wed Sep 9 2020
 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 20; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
   11:32:07
Wed Sep 9 2020
 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 0 1.;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
   11:37:36
Wed Sep 9 2020
 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 22; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
   11:37:37
Wed Sep 9 2020
 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 0 1.;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Getting packet loss to google:

jremery_0-1599779507343.png

https://imgur.com/a/bOQmGJW 

Seems like issues with node be-32141-cs04.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net and be-2411-pe11.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net

Highlighted
New Poster

what there ever resolution on this topic?  I am not at the Gigabit level, but I'm paying for 600mb/s speed - not getting anywhere close to that, and will have internet drop multiple times each day requiring a Modem restart and many connecting and reconnecting attempts.

I am running Pingplotter and seeing the same issues that you noted there where it seems to be 

"be-32141-cs04.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net" that seems to be throwing out 80% packet loss.  Now I am not very versed in all of this and not entirely sure what it means - but looking across a few other posts, it all appears to be related.

Thoughts?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I contacted chat support again last week and they wouldn't send a tech out. They said the advanced team would call me and they did. The advance team said they would come check the main line in the neighborhood the next day and call me with the results and send a tech out if it was not the main line. This was Wednesday I did not receive a call on Thursday and I am still getting slow speeds....

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@ronchable2 wrote:

what there ever resolution on this topic?  I am not at the Gigabit level, but I'm paying for 600mb/s speed - not getting anywhere close to that, and will have internet drop multiple times each day requiring a Modem restart and many connecting and reconnecting attempts.

I am running Pingplotter and seeing the same issues that you noted there where it seems to be 

"be-32141-cs04.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net" that seems to be throwing out 80% packet loss.  Now I am not very versed in all of this and not entirely sure what it means - but looking across a few other posts, it all appears to be related.

Thoughts?

Did you check the hardware requirements?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Gigabit-speed-troubleshooting-video/m-p/3310454#M316...

Also, I know you were talking to the other guy but I have followed the steps in that video. Still getting slow speeds and no one has contacted me regarding the technician they were supposed to send out.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having the exact same problem as you. Very frustrating. Many people on the web have this issue and in most, if not all cases, I am yet to see a resolution.

I'm sure you have, and I know I have, wasted countless hours on the phone only to get nowhere. I have been looking at AT&T's gigabit offering. They claim you can try it for 30 days and if you don't like it, get a full refund, but I am skeptical. I am doing my research and if people really are able to get a full refund within 30 days, I may go ahead and just have them come install it side by side with Comcast and if I see gig speeds, I'll be canceling my Comcast as quickly as their phone system will get me to an account rep.

Best of luck to you. Just know their are many others in your same situation and have been for 5+ months with no resolution in sight.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

That's unfortunate but not acceptable.

Here's more evidence of something wrong with the network:

https://imgur.com/a/9jRK26l 

Modem stats:

https://imgur.com/a/jmqYKjD 

Does Comcast even monitor these forums? Why haven't I got a response from them yet?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Update:

I contacted support again, after still not getting a call from a technician. I asked them to send me an xFi Gateway to prove it's not my modem. I tested it without a splitter and the Downstream signal power was over 11, which I believe is too high. I have a splitter, which is a good one that I got from the tech who came out several months ago (Commscope) and the Downstream signals look better now 6 to 8. However the Upstream power levels are much lower than I believe they should be, sitting at 37. They should be above 45, right?

https://imgur.com/a/bMJkaI1 

Also with the new modem, I ran some speed tests and the download speeds improved slightly to over 450, but the upload speeds are now much worse. I'm paying for 40 Mbps upload but now only getting 6 Mbps.

I believe this proves it's not my modem, nor the xFi modem and that the issue lies with the network. I feel it's a moot point posting here but who knows, will Comcast actually respond?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastChe Sorry to call you out directly, but do you have any thoughts, or can you assist with getting me in contact with a tech who can run a new line for me?