Community Forum

Other Comcast Customers Cannot Access My Home Server

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Other Comcast Customers Cannot Access My Home Server

I am running a small web server (MS/IIS) and RDP terminal for family/hobby purposes and also personal convencience, and I seem to be suffering some kind of intermittent, undiagnosible connection issues.

Up until today, I've had pretty much no issues accessing my web server or RDP from pretty much anywhere.  Now, suddenly, tonight, it seems like *specifically* other Comcast customers (e.g., my family from both Mountain View, CA and Atwater, CA) cannot access my Merced, CA server any more.  Pinging my domain name from cmd produces the correct Comcast-assigned IPV4 address, but no one with Comcast could communicate with my server on *any* port (80, 443, 8080, my RDP port, nothing).

BUT, it turns out, they *COULD* access my server and all its functionality from smartphone (Verizon/StraightTalk/AT&T) wireless data.

Then, my brother nmap'd my domain name to scan for open ports. The instant he did, suddenly everyone with Comcast was able to communicate with my server again (I was personally at my family in Atwater's house, and confirmed this the very minute my brother told me about it).

What is this all about?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Other Comcast Customers Cannot Access My Home Server

I am having the same issue. We have people who access a terminal server which is on Comcast, and the users are also on Comcast. As of 2/26/20 those connections have stopped working. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Highlighted
New Poster

I would look into this link, 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security

It can block ports, had my server stop working and had to configure it.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have a simalilar issue, on Jan 3rd 2020, there were 3 different machines with "IPprocom-XXYY" accesed my network( none of them are my devices - I checked the Mac address) , but can't find any activities , worried , if the router was hacked ?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

That really isn’t the same issue at all.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

It is likely that comcast has recently changed some network policies due to RDP vulnerabilities. Such changes should not interfere with legit RDP traffic but security policy changes don't always roll out perfectly.     Please report it all to the top-tier folks who can analyze/fix the details and let all us readers know what you think.   Presumably you have business service otherwise you might want to use some word other than 'server' when you talk to tech support.    For example maybe call it a "home app" instead of a "server".   

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@TheVinny12 Im curious about this. Did you replace your modem with an Xfi enabled modem and the services stopped? Or did you already have the modem and activated the additional security and it stopped? There has to be a cause an affect here.