LTGarcia173's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 3:00 PM

Closed

OMG Somebody help me.

I have explained my issue to 4 different Xfinity people, over the past 40 minutes. Maybe it's me, maybe I am not making any sense... but my head is about to explode. I need help!

I have a new construction home, my home was hard-wired for ethernet and for cable.

I have Xfinity cable and wifi for the last year provided by an Xfi modem, specifically: "Voice and Data Modem TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM". This modem allows me to plug into the Coax connection in my living room and would allow me to connect to the ethernet. BUT I do not have both the coaxial connection AND the ethernet connection in the same room. 

Currently, in order for me to get an ethernet connection, I must run an Ethernet cable (cat6) from my existing modem (providing Wi-Fi and cable VIA coax) 70 feet, to my bedroom. OR I must run an Ethernet cable from my office computer, 150 feet, THROUGH the house to the existing modem. 

Obviously running a cable from a computer in one room to a modem in another is not going to work. 

I had a technician come out to hardwire an ethernet connection close to the coax so I can call this mess off, and it was a $600.00 service. I refuse.  SO. How can I get ethernet running if I do not have a coaxial and an ethernet connection hardwired in the same room?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@LTGarcia173 wrote:

Obviously running a cable from a computer in one room to a modem in another is not going to work. 

Who says? I have a 50 ft flat ethernet cable running from where my gateway is to an ethernet switch in my living room. The flat cable lets me run it under carpets and through the doorway gap. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You could try power line adapters or XFi pods or have that contractor back out. If you happen to build again and for anyone else it’s a lesson for future-proofing your house.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

Are you sure there is nowhere in your house that the coax and ethernet wiring in the same room?   Like perhaps a basement or utility room with the ethernet switch and an exposed coax run where you could install a splitter for the modem?

Next best might to to ignore the ethernet and just use wifi which will work pretty well in a normal-sized home and can use extenders for difficult areas.

Contributor

• 

227 Messages

4 years ago

This is you best and cheapest solution since where you want to place your modem does not have a ethernet jack.  You can hidde a flat cable pretty well.  And you can run your own cable for cheaper than $600.  Hoever, keep in mind of the distance (I forget what the max lenght is, but you can look it up). Or as another poster said just use wifi with extenders.  If you use a mesh system though, you may run into issues with 2.4 only devices.  Good luck!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here