Community Forum

Not Getting Gigabit speeds with Netgear C7800

Highlighted
New Poster

Not Getting Gigabit speeds with Netgear C7800

I've been having issues getting Gigabite speeds on my Netgear C7800 since Oct. 2019. I have had Comcast technicans come twice to check the connection, and they both said it was my device. So, I got an RMA for my device, replaced it with a new C7800, and the same thing.

speedtest.net results about 90 Mbps

speedtest.xfinity.com results about 230 Mbps

Doesn't matter if it wired or wireless.

My PC exceeds all minimum requirements for Gigabit speeds.

I am extremely frustrated and I am hoping to get help on here as a last resort. If anyone can offer any help/advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much!

Perfect_Form

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Not Getting Gigabit speeds with Netgear C7800

I paid around $300 for this modem to work based on Comcast info.

https://imgur.com/qVruRyX

When I call into support, they tell me the modem isn't compatible. When I tell them it is, they retract and go through the typical troubleshooting steps. Nothing has worked. Technicans tell me I'm getting Gigabit to the modem, so I had Netgear replace the modem. There has been no change in speed.

Can anyone help?

Highlighted
Expert

See if anything in Internet Troubleshooting Tips  helps. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you for the reply. I have already tried all that. Netgear says the power levels need adjusted by Comcast for my device, but I cannot get Comcast to adjust them for me. Still having the same issue.

Highlighted
Expert

@Perfect_Form wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I have already tried all that. Netgear says the power levels need adjusted by Comcast for my device, but I cannot get Comcast to adjust them for me. Still having the same issue.

The power levels are automatically determined by the signal level as read by the CMTS (Comcast headend) and your modem. If the CMTS can "hear" your modem perfectly fine at 35 db on the upstream, there's no reason to raise it any higher, that would be like shouting over the phone when the other party can hear you perfecly when you talk normally.

Please post your gateway stats here and we'll see what's going on.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!