TedNuge's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, July 15th, 2020 4:00 PM

Closed

New XB7 gateway, wifi drops even though gateway is fine

Hi there, I recently upgraded to the gig and xb7 package. Was hopping to become the happiest comcast customer in the world and only frowny faces at home. 

The gateway completely drops the wifi connection while showing no change in gateway lights. The portal on 10.0.0.1 is also showing 4+ days of uptime and no way to troubleshoot what's going on. 

Any one with similar issues and any ideas better than reset all your settings. 😞 

I thought this was the best Comcast had. Appreciate any help. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the Same issue. The gateway itself keeps signal, but WiFi drops. They sent an entire cavalry to my place, a network expert, they said my tv boxes were causing interference, changed those, said try without pods which could interfere so I unplugged all of those, said my subwoofer connected with a coax could be causing interference, so I unplugged that. They also put down and dug a new line into my house. Went to tighten all connections. The issue is still happening. I'm getting desperate now as we have kids eLearning and both my wife and I working remote. Have you had any luck?

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry to report but I had no luck with comcast techs or XB7. One tech arrived and gave me the same spiel that the outlets in the entire home needed fixing which made no sense, given the XB7 was on the first incoming cable that directly went into the XB7 after the first two way split. Rest of the house is on the other split. 

What is working well now is that XB7 is in the bridge mode (sad but oh well) and I bought an Orbi 6000 mesh system. You can also get Orbi 4200 system that's on a really good deal at Costco. Both of them have ability to configure what Comcast doesn't allow even in its web interface. It allowed me to tune wifi (e.g. packet length, band sharing etc) and now everything works great. No drops unless comcast signal drops. Kids are not endlessly complaining anymore. 🙂 

If you go the Orbi route, their forums have good people who supplied me the config to try. You can also ping me back here and I'll send the changes I made to the defaults. Good luck! 

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

I have the new Xb7 and my connection is fast and solid with old wiring and older devices, when you say WiFi drops is it on all devices or just a certain device? I once had a computer drop WiFi connection and it turned out my WiFi card had the power saving option enabled, I changed that setting and never had that problem anymore, just a thought

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Drops on multiple devices unfortunately.

I too am considering not paying extra for the pods and just going with my own mesh.

Thanks all! Disappointing for Comcast

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Yep same.  I was under the impression there is a tier of service I'm paying for that includes the pods (and their "security")... but you might be right.

The techs that came said any combination of the devices as well as my own devices in my home could be causing interference, the pods among them.  Their suggestion was to try unplugging the pods.  The techs themselves were very nice, but the overall experience is extremely frustrating.  I am somewhat pleasantly surprised that others also are experiencing essentially an identical issue as me.  I don't wish the issue upon you 🙂 but at least it's not only me and I'm crazy.

Basically, around the time of e-learning we started needing to reset our old XB6 multiple times a day.  The tech on the phone said the technicolor has had issues so he ordered me a new XB6 by Arris.  Of course, in the mail instead of the XB6 he talked about I got an XB7.  I ended up upgrading to gig at that point anyway since my rate was going up on my old plan.  And the issues since then have been what you described exactly.

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I got free pods after the assessment but they were not helpful. They are back in the box. I'll return when I get around to it. More importantly, drops are not a coverage issue and pods are tricky, as in, they can help you with dead spots but also slow down devices that can connect directly to the router at much higher speeds. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here