Community Forum

New Modem - Slower Download Speed?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

New Modem - Slower Download Speed?

I've been starting to have some issues with my Motorola SURFboard SB6141 so I went ahead and replaced it with a Motorola MB8600.

Running speed tests on the SURFboard were consistently in the 245 down / 23 up range.

Right before swapping out the modem it pulled 241.6 / 23.34.

However, a couple speed tests with the new modem are now pulling lower download numbers.  I've run three so far and the highest it's hit was 200.92 / 24.04 (other two were in the 170 range).

Why would a newer (and faster) modem be pulling lower download speeds than the old modem?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: New Modem - Slower Download Speed?

there could be a few reasons,

Which tier are you on.  try a factory reset on modem.  Im assuming its activated already.

I've noticed quite a bit of times when first setting up a new modem.  I have to have two separate Mac address's during initial setup.   When rebooting the modem.  I finally connect to my router.   Then I'd get full speed..  Initial setup 75% of the time had slower speeds if I left the same Mac address "computer" connected without factory reset.

Secondly the sb6141 had 8 channels on downstream. docsis 3.0

the mb8600 has 32 channels docsis 3.1

the 8600 give the opportunity to have a much more linear form of bandwidth limiting.

QAM factors.   8 6Mhz channels of 256-QAM will give you a maximum theoretical 343Mbps

in a docsis 3.1 modem QAM factor raises significantly 4096-QAM.   one channe 192Mhz can theoretically give you 1.89Gbps or 1890Mbps

if your modem is connecting on 3.1 currently and connected on 3.0 previously..   Comcast has now a greater and more efficient way of dialing back your speed to the provisioned rate subscribed.  

I am assuming your subscribed to "Extreme 150"???

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try resetting the modem and see what happens.

I looked at my bill and it says "Extreme Internet" and "Download as fast as 300 Mbps"

Highlighted
Expert

Just an FYI. If you do perform a factory reset to defaults, you will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!