Community Forum

My WAN IP is on several blacklists. How do I renew my IP?

Highlighted
New Poster

My WAN IP is on several blacklists. How do I renew my IP?

I'm running Linux at home, and my router is OpenWRT with a separate modem. If I use an online blacklist check, I see that the public IP assigned by my ISP is on multiple blacklists.

This cannot be based on any activity here. I don't run a mail server, and I'm not using the IP for any othe rmalicious activity. I'm assuming the IP was on these blacklists before it was assigned to me.

I've reset the ipv4 WAN on the router, and I've shut down the router and modem for over 5 minutes and restarted. I keep ending up with the same WAN IP. I called customer support and they only knew how to renew my LAN IP. What do I do?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: My WAN IP is on several blacklists. How do I renew my IP?

If your router has a MAC address cloning feature, you can clone a different MAC address in to it. This will force their DHCP server to assign a new / different public IP address to your connection.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

If you cannot find the Mac address cloning feature.

Use macchanger program for linux to change the mac address of the device that is running linux.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@Morgannunan wrote: ... the public IP assigned by my ISP is on multiple blacklists. ...

What lists is your IP on? All Comcast residential IPs are, or should be, on dynamic IP blacklists like the Spamhaus PBL ( Policy Block List, https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/ ), whether they are involved in abuse or not.

Highlighted
Expert

@Broomsweeper wrote:

If you cannot find the Mac address cloning feature.

Use macchanger program for linux to change the mac address of the device that is running linux.

FWIW, that won't work because the Comcast DHCP server will still be seeing the WAN MAC address of the router no matter what the MAC addresses of the LAN network clients are.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!