Community Forum

Modem/wifi router

Highlighted
New Poster

Modem/wifi router

If I puchase my own wifi router/modem combo, can it be a Docsis 3.0 like my current Comcast Modem which is Docsis 3.0.   i spoke to an agent in February and she told me to get a 3.1.  They are very expensive, just wondered why I can't purchase a 3.0 just like my current Comcast modem/router?  Thank you.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Modem/wifi router

@rlaw1952 wrote:

If I puchase my own wifi router/modem combo, can it be a Docsis 3.0 like my current Comcast Modem which is Docsis 3.0.   i spoke to an agent in February and she told me to get a 3.1.  They are very expensive, just wondered why I can't purchase a 3.0 just like my current Comcast modem/router?  Thank you.

A Docsis 3.0 should work but you may not get access to new features/speeds that a new plan and 3.1 modem would provide.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Modem/wifi router

It’s up you what you purchase. Keep in mind that whatever you buy should have the ability of the speeds you pay for. And that gateways like the one from Comcast aren’t for sale

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!