glcjr's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, December 23rd, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

MOCA will not stay disabled

With MOCA enabled on the gateway my x1 little box will not allow viewing. I decided to see if that was still the case since it would be nice to give the roku downstairs a wired connection so I flicked the MOCA to enabled and its still the case. I have been trying to disable it back and now it keep reenabling itself. I tried to reset the gateway back to factory defaults but the only thing that accomplished was making me have to reactivate the gateway with new wifi creditials... and the MOCA was still enabled.

Anyone experience this and get it fixed?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

So what finally seemed to have fixed it is probably the worst thing to do. I ticked the option to disabled again and then waited for it to do its back end procedure and as soon as it finished, I pulled the power before it could tick back. And then plugged it back in And the MOCA has stayed off for a half hour so far.

And yeah I won't be testing it again. A hard thing for an IT person (I work as a Software developer and have a second degree in networking) to do but I like my service to work. heh. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

And the gateway is the TG1682G

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

What’s the little box? What other X1 video equipment?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You’ll probably have to call in for that. And then leave it alone

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

The little box is the smaller X1 box that also allows you to watch the main (and bigger) X1 box (dvr)'s taping and gives access to live tv and on demand. It has its own coaxal connection but when it can't communicate with the x1 DVR it stops working.

The X1 Dvr is unaffected by the Gateway's MOCA being on.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@glcjr wrote:

The X1 Dvr is unaffected by the Gateway's MOCA being on.

It shouldn't hurt anything to leave it on.  I think it gives the gateway access to report the internet usage of the X1 apps so you see then in https://internet.xfinity.com/devices.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

It shouldn't hurt anything to leave it on. I think it gives the gateway access to report the internet usage of the X1 apps so you see then in https://internet.xfinity.com/devices.
_________

That’s not what Moca is for. Having Moca on is a necessity for some X1 boxes and can be a detriment to others (as the OP described).

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote:

It shouldn't hurt anything to leave it on. I think it gives the gateway access to report the internet usage of the X1 apps so you see then in https://internet.xfinity.com/devices.
_________

That’s not what Moca is for. Having Moca on is a necessity for some X1 boxes and can be a detriment to others (as the OP described).

The X1 boxes obviously don't need a gateway active on their Moca network or they would be unable to work for customers without bundled internet service.  But it shouldn't hurt them either.  Which box has a problem with it?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

XiD/Xi3 boxes can sometimes be interfered with by Moca
Xi5/Xi6 boxes need Moca to work

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote:
XiD/Xi3 boxes can sometimes be interfered with by Moca
Xi5/Xi6 boxes need Moca to work

Isn't that an awkward design when you can have a mix of those in the same home?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Nope, not really. It’s a one-off when the moca interferes. Usually, box resets take care of it

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the same issue. I wonder if Xfinity support could disable MoCA remotely?

I recently enabled Bridge Mode to test an Orbi Mesh network. I decided to return the Orbi and disable Bridge Mode, but I wasn't able to login to the router via Ethernet to do it. I chatted with Xfinity support and they did it. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for that tip!  I turned MoCA off from the web interface.  As soon as I saw the MoCA light on the back of the modem turn off, I unplugged the modem for 20s. Plugged back in and the MoCA light remained off! ...

... but for only a couple of days and then it came back on 😞    Must be Comcast/Xfinity pushing a setting to turn it back on.  Will call them.

Alternatively, I might just stick another MoCA filter directly on the modem coax terminal (already have one on the home PoE.)   I think MoCA signals from the modem are causing some issues on my network even though I don't use MoCA - everything is either WiFi or wired CAT6. Whenever that MoCA light is on, I seem to have problems.

Cheers.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here