Community Forum

Linksys EA6500 and Cable Modem Cisco DPC3008 not producing 300 Mbps download speeds

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Linksys EA6500 and Cable Modem Cisco DPC3008 not producing 300 Mbps download speeds

Being here under "shelter in place" decided to fool around with my computer stuff.

I have a 300 Mbps Comcast download service.

My connection test is Comcast to Modem to Router to desktop iMac.

When connection directly Modem to iMac via ethernet cable I get close to 300Mbps, measure 260 Mbps.

iMac Ethernet connected to a router port I measure about 210 Mbps.

And Wireless connection to iMac from router eithe 5 or 2.4 network I measure about 193 Mbps.

All my equipment is spec'ed to handle speeds much greater than 300Mbps.

Any ideas on why I am not getting the full download speeds.

Thanks

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Linksys EA6500 and Cable Modem Cisco DPC3008 not producing 300 Mbps download speeds

The modem’s specs may be for those speeds but what does Comcast approve the speeds for it? Sometimes there’s a difference, you have to go by what Comcast approves, not the manufacturer
https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Linksys EA6500 and Cable Modem Cisco DPC3008 not producing 300 Mbps download speeds

@RLM5 wrote:

Being here under "shelter in place" decided to fool around with my computer stuff.

I have a 300 Mbps Comcast download service.

My connection test is Comcast to Modem to Router to desktop iMac.

When connection directly Modem to iMac via ethernet cable I get close to 300Mbps, measure 260 Mbps.

iMac Ethernet connected to a router port I measure about 210 Mbps.

And Wireless connection to iMac from router eithe 5 or 2.4 network I measure about 193 Mbps.

All my equipment is spec'ed to handle speeds much greater than 300Mbps.

Any ideas on why I am not getting the full download speeds.

Thanks

Comcast lists that modem for speeds up to 268 Mbps;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#details

Sounds like the bottleneck is with your router. Are there any QoS settings enabled in your router ? If so, try disabling them and see.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks good modem information.