Community Forum

LAN to LAN router setup

Highlighted
New Poster

LAN to LAN router setup

When I connect a router to my TG4482A modem does it matter which port I use on the modem for the Lan setup? or will it just find it?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: LAN to LAN router setup

That is not just a straight cable modem. It is a combination modem and router gateway device. If you are going to hang a stand-alone / separate router off of a gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

You really should put it in to bridge mode. Here's how;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Only LAN port number 1 will be active after the gateway is bridged.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

If bridging is your only answer your wasting my time. Your discription says I lose ports 2-4 and only have the 4 on the router. I found an article on the web about lan to lan and already have it working now I have 7 hardwired lines and no problems. I plugged the second router into port 1 and everything works ok. I wasn't asking how to do it I was only asking which port I should use #1 or the indexed #4 with red line, but # 1 seems ok. 

Highlighted
Expert

Sorry to waste your time pal.............. Have a ball.............

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert

Port 4 on that gateway is a 2.5 Gb ethernet port. 

Since you somehow got your setup to work without bridging the gateway, I guess you'll have to experiment and find out if that works.