BobHx's profile

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

Monday, February 3rd, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Internet speed not up to par

Ok so I upgraded to 1 Gigabit service, got my new modem from Comcast but so far the highest download speed reached has not been  above 85 Mbps but most of the time it's around 50 to 70. The upload speed is much better than previously. The tech rep who I chatted with told me that the problem was that the modem should be plugged directly into an outlet and not a power strip the way I had it setup; although I doubted that it would make a difference I plugged it in directly to the outlet but there was no improvement.

Any thoughts on how to get close to the "promised" speed? Does the modem really have to be plugged in directly? Anything else that I should be doing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob H.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

An important question is does the device that you’re using have the ability to go over 100mbps? Don’t worry about the power strip suggestion

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

That's a good point and I hadn't thought about it. This is what I get with an ethernet connection to my laptop: 

LAN Ethernet Port 1
LAN Ethernet link status:Active
MAC Address:14:c0:3e:60:b5:c0
Connection Speed:100 Mbps

I get the same thing when the ethernet cable is connected to the tv for streaming.

Does that mean the max is 100 Mbps or does something need to be changed in the modem? 

Also how do I find out the max speed that the wireles adapter (Intel N-2230) is capable of?

Thanks for all the help.

Bob H.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Connection Speed:100 Mbps

Googled the adapter, it’s 8 yrs old
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/66889/intel-centrino-wireless-n-2230-single-band.html

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the quick answer. The specs for the N-2230 show that the max speed is 300 Mbps but I'm not even close to that. Am I missing something here?

Regards,

Bob H.

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

While deciding what pc to upgrade to I got an ASUS USB-AC53 Nano wireless adapter and I am regularly hitting speeds close to 300 Mbps which is great. Although it's rated for speeds up to 867 Mbps for 802.11ac I haven't quite figured out how to get there yet.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Problem Solver

• 

719 Messages

4 years ago

I assume you have dual-band WiFi on your Comcast Gateway. Which band are you connected to? It does make a difference.

I looked at a review for your WiFi adapter. Here is an excerpt: "The USB-AC53 Nano features ... on the wireless side 300 Mbps capabilities on the 2.4GHz band and 867 Mbps on the 5GHz band."

If you are connecting to the lower 2.4GHz band then that would explain your 300Mbps speed.

I used to have my dual-band Gateway set with one SSID. I had no control on which of the bands it would connect to. Sometimes it would connect to 2.4GHz and other times 5Ghz. Now I have split the two and have different SSIDs for each band.

I have Blast Internet (200Mbps). I on purposely with my laptop connected to each band and did a speed test with Xfinity Speed Test. Here are the results:
5GGhz: 235.7Mbps
2.4Ghz: 109.9MBps

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for your answer. This is what I see when I look at the Gateway connection status:

Wireless Network (Wi-Fi 5 GHz):Active
Supported Protocols:A,N,AC
Security:WPA2-PSK (AES)
No of Clients connected:1

It's the only device connected so I know it's the right one. When I connect my phone it goes to the 2.4 GHz. Maybe the laptop's USB port it what limits the speed.
Bob H.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here