Community Forum

Internet speed craters at night

asdutil
Regular Visitor

Internet speed craters at night

I pay for the 600mbps plan and all day it's around 150, until about 8pm. I just tested and got 7mbps.

I have a TP-Link Archer CR700. What's happening to my connection? It's been like this for a month or so. Nearly impossible to stream video without lots of buffering.

Dreadfenix
Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet speed craters at night

Welcome to the club, my dude.  We've been complaining about it for months and they refuse to respond.

BruceW
Gold Problem Solver

@asdutil wrote: I pay for the 600mbps plan and all day it's around 150, until about 8pm. ...

Please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices. Note that Comcast rates the CR700 only for speeds "Up to 373 Mbps". Using devices on speed tiers for which they are not approved tends to produce unexpected results. You should switch to a plan speed below 373 Mbps, or get one of the modems on the "Devices" page that is approved for 600 Mbps.

Speed problems are often network connection problems due to poor coax connections or damaged coax cable, usually in or near your home.

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Internet Troubleshooting Tips.

asdutil
Regular Visitor

Why would either of those issues happen at the same time every night though? I wouldn't be happy about 150mbps all day seeing as how I'm paying for much more than that but I don't see why a bad coax connection or a subpar router/modem would cause issues only at certain times.