Community Forum

Internet problems

BNELM
New Poster

Internet problems

Got a new security system installed (not Xfinity) and it requires a 5.0 GHz wifi network to connect the panel and cameras to live video. After examining my WiFi networks, I discovered that the 2.4 and 5.0 networks were running at 2.4 frequency. Try to chat with an agent and the agent insisted that both networks were running properly. My security panel is discovering my neighbors' 5.0 networks, but not my own. Even downloaded an internet tester and it was giving the same info.
EG
Expert

Re: Internet problems

The two WiFi bands have recently been combined into one with the Comcast gateway devices. Some devices get confused and don't know how to see / talk to combined bands.

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can try separating the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Associate the cameras with the 5.0GHz band's SSID (broadcast name) and password.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!