Community Forum

Internet drops every night at 15 minutes past midnight

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Internet drops every night at 15 minutes past midnight

I have Xfinity Blast 300Mbps internet and my own Arris SURFboard T25 modem.

Every single night, like clockwork, the internet drops out. My network consists of the T25>Asus wireless router>Araknis 15 port Gigabit switch>Ruckus wireless AP

The Asus is just to provide a firewall. Nothing connects to it's wireless.

If we're watching Netflix or Vudu or any streaming service, invariably at 12:15 the streaming stops. The Asus light for internet is orange indicating internet is down. The T25 lights appear normal. Resetting the Asus has no effect. Only resetting the T25 by power cycling it, does the internet light on the Asus return to white. This is true without ever power cycling the Asus.

The Asus has an app and it confirms what I already know to be true, internet is down.

The TV with the streaming content is hard wired so it doesn't reply in wireless.

Is this a SURFboard issue or an Xfinity one? How can I prove it to avoid fingerpointing?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Internet drops every night at 15 minutes past midnight

I spoke with Arris and they had me open the modem status page. My downstream dBmV were all within 3dBmV of each other and between -15 and 15.

My upload is out of spec, according to them. They said DOCSIS 3.1 upstream should be 45-51dBmV but mine is 39.00 to 40.50dBmV. They said this can cause unexpected behaviour although I am getting a very consistent behaviour right at midnight.

I called Xfinity. They can't do anything because they won't send someone since I can get it back by power cycling my modem. Plus the agent I chatted with (phone support isn't available) claimed my modem passed all diagnostics and was within all ranges. Contrary to what Arris told me.

So, who is correct?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Internet drops every night at 15 minutes past midnight

No one has any ideas?