Community Forum

Internet connection continuously dropping

Highlighted
New Poster

Internet connection continuously dropping

We just moved to Houston, TX and started our service with Comcast / Xfinity approx. 3 weeks ago and purchased the 300mbps plan. Ever since our service began, we've had constant issues with our WiFi going in and out. I've contacted customer service probably 15+ times in a matter of 3 weeks, and have even had a technician come out to my home this morning just to tell me there was nothing wrong, but he swapped a splitter and a damaged port out on the exterior of my home. After he left for about 4 hours the internet connection was fine,  and then began having the same issues where my internet will drop for 5-10 minutes, come back up for 5-10 minutes, and repeat until it decides it wants to work for another few hours. When we call technical support, they seem to see the errors our modem is receiving but cannot offer a fix other than to reset the modem, which I can assure you has probably been done 100 times now. We've even contacted Netgear on numerous occasions who then points the finger back to Xfinity because our Upstream Bonded Channels are "too low." They are at 43, when Netgear informed they should be running from 45-51, and this is the reason our modem is resetting. I brought this to Xfinity's attention, and am treated as if this is a fictional story that I've made up. I am stuck with Xfinity since there are no other providers in my area, and do not want to continuously pay for high speed internet that doesn't work. On my last call, they've informed they created a ticket to send higher up the channel, so who knows if we'll even receive a call back on the matter. I work from home full-time, regardless of the COVID-19 issue at hand, and high speed internet is a must. I've read multiple reviews in this forum and it appears this is a common issue. Is there ANYTHING ANYONE can do to help our situation?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Internet connection continuously dropping

We've also gone through 2 different modem / router combinations. Our current modem is Arris SB6183 with an Orbi router and satellite. We've experienced the same issue with 2 different modems, which leads me to believe our equipment is not the issue.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Internet connection continuously dropping

This is a constant issue here in Ohio at our house as well.  Our wifi signal drops to almost nothing at certain times of the day. Comcast has been out repeatedly but just keep pushing the blame.  We are in the same boat as you with only Comcast as a service provider.  They want the bill paid but do not care if the service is usable or not.